PDA

View Full Version : Nails in foundation

Jeff Eastman
10-29-2007, 12:31 PM

Bruce Breedlove
10-29-2007, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't think the nails are causing any problems other than asthetics (nails are visible [and ugly] and causing rust stains). I wouldn't comment on them in the report.

Rick Hurst
10-29-2007, 04:33 PM
To save time from having to comment on it on the report and spend 10 minutes with the buyer about them and then listen to the agent yak about them, I just take a hammer and whack them flush with the foundation.

I have pulled out my bolt-cutters and cut the nails off depending how much time I had left.

Years ago I didn't give them much thought, then after dragging my ankle against one while leaning over to look at a condensing unit I thought different about those rusty nails.

rick

John Arnold
10-29-2007, 04:39 PM
I've never seen this condition, but won't those suckers rust, expand, and pop off chunks of 'crete?

Jerry McCarthy
10-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Exposed nails, form ties, etc show a sloppy builder so with that in mind it may be wise to go into overdrive on your inspection. Remember, ever little detail is a clue in itself.

wayne soper
10-29-2007, 05:05 PM
You sure your not looking at the form ties? Dosen't matter these shoild be cut off also, but sealed as well.