PDA

View Full Version : What kind of over current or main shutoff is this?

Ryan Castillo
06-05-2014, 07:19 PM
I am new to this forum and was hoping I could get some help with this over current/ main shutoff device that feeds a sub-panel on the inside of the unit. It is for a ealry 70's multi unit dwelling in Southern AZ. I have not had any experience with this type, here are two different ones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Ryan Castillo
06-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Are these "Pushmatic" breakers??

Jim Port
06-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Looks like a Pushmatic to me.

Ryan Castillo
06-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Any other info would be greatly appreciated ( problems, how are they shut off? Do you just pull them out like a fuse?)

Jim Port
06-05-2014, 11:48 PM
They push in to turn on or off. The flag should should show the status.

Michael Thomas
06-06-2014, 03:57 AM
P2100, Pushmatic renewal breaker by UBI: Circuit Breakers: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific (http://www.amazon.com/P2100-Pushmatic-renewal-breaker-UBI/dp/B00A2BPBWE#productDescription)

Tom Rees
06-09-2014, 05:36 AM
Bulldog & ITE Pushmatic Circuit Breakers & Electrical Panels - Safety Advice & Field Failure Reports (http://www.inspectapedia.com/electric/Pushmatic.htm)

Ryan Castillo
06-09-2014, 05:56 AM
Thanks Tom,
I actually came across this from InspectAPedia last week. There was some good info.
Though I was able to further my knowledge on this product, there was nothing conclusive enough to raise alarm for my client and no visible issues with the electrical system as whole other than a main panel cover with a broken hinges which was called out for repair.
Thanks again!

Terry Beck
06-09-2014, 09:22 AM
Ryan,
Pushmatic is the correct answer as far as the breaker manufacturer is concerned. Generally I consider Pushmatic to be one of the better brands out there for that time period, though you still have to examine if for proper wiring and grounding.

However, while it close up pics are nice, I would like to see how the breakers are mounted in the panel. The pictures that you attached do not look like they are not mounted to the panel bus bars, but as some sort of add-on. If so, if the panel was modified in some manner, that MIGHT be a problem. See attached pic - are the breaker mounted to the main center buses as all the others in this pic?