PDA

View Full Version : E&O Insurance in British Columbia

Doug Campone
06-17-2014, 12:31 PM
My fellow Canadians!

I'm in the process of renewing my E&O insurance and reading the policy details, I notice that it will not cover anything that remotely refers to mould or fungi.

I'm in BC and this insurance is a requirement to maintain my license. Does anyone know of an insurance company, in British Columbia, whose policy does not exclude mould?

Thanks,
Doug

Doug Campone
06-21-2014, 01:21 PM
80 views and 0 replies!:frusty:

Scott Patterson
06-22-2014, 11:38 AM
80 views and 0 replies!:frusty:

Could be that we don't have many folks from British Columbia visit the site on a regular basis...... Patience grasshopper!!!

Claude Lawrenson
06-23-2014, 05:31 AM
Hello Doug, it's my understanding extremely few, if any, cover mould. I believe HUB recently included asbestos and pollution coverage; but the "m" word seems to be a subject that is a hot button for insurers, at least in Canada.

Good luck in your pursuit!

Tomislav Renic
06-23-2014, 06:15 AM
Hello Doug, it's my understanding extremely few, if any, cover mould. I believe HUB recently included asbestos and pollution coverage; but the "m" word seems to be a subject that is a hot button for insurers, at least in Canada.

Good luck in your pursuit!

I will agree with this statement. I'm an engineer north of the Border that has done plenty of insurance-related work. The Insurance companies hate doing anything mould-related due to the potential liability issues and the shaky science behind health claims associated with mould. There are a few insurers in Ontario that have separate mould riders for professional liability policies.

Try calling up a broker out in BC to see if they can track down an insurer that is willing to insure against mould.

David J. Smith
06-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Try HUB

Jim Powlesland
06-23-2014, 08:57 AM
My fellow Canadians!

I'm in the process of renewing my E&O insurance and reading the policy details, I notice that it will not cover anything that remotely refers to mould or fungi.

I'm in BC and this insurance is a requirement to maintain my license. Does anyone know of an insurance company, in British Columbia, whose policy does not exclude mould?

Thanks,
Doug

CAHPI-BC's Legal Benefits Plan (i.e., E&O) includes coverage for mould.

See members area at Canadian Association of Home & Property Inspectors (BC) (http://www.cahpi.bc.ca/)