PDA

View Full Version : Hot water heater in closet off of garage.

Tom Cissell
06-28-2014, 06:07 AM
House was built in 1961. The water heater is in a closet with a door off of the garage. The only other thing in the closet is the water meter and shutoff. The water heater sits on the floor which is level with the garage floor. Should it be elevated 18 inches or is it ok since it is technically not in the garage?

Sorry no pics.

Scott Patterson
06-28-2014, 06:13 AM
House was built in 1961. The water heater is in a closet with a door off of the garage. The only other thing in the closet is the water meter and shutoff. The water heater sits on the floor which is level with the garage floor. Should it be elevated 18 inches or is it ok since it is technically not in the garage?

Sorry no pics.

For safety I would report that it is not raised and then tell them they should raise it 18" for increased safety. What you have is a storage room and it would be easy for someone to place a gas can on the floor in the room. My rule of thumb is if a gas can could be set on the floor then it needs to be raised.

Rick Cantrell
06-28-2014, 08:17 AM

Sorry no pics.
Should it be raised 18", depends.
If is a FVIR WH, then no, it is not required to be raised.
As for "it is technically not in the garage.". Technically, it is in the garage.

Stuart Brooks
06-30-2014, 08:42 AM
Why would one wish to heat hot water? "Hot water heater". Sorry. My facetious-ism for the day.;)

Edward Best
06-30-2014, 01:18 PM
? Gas or Electric?

CoronadoBruin
06-30-2014, 04:39 PM
Is there fire separation? In other words, 5/8" Type X drywall (or equivalent such as 7/8" stucco) and 1-3/4" solid core door (or equivalent such as metal skin) with closer? Correct me if I'm wrong but it wouldn't be technically in the garage but a true separate room if there is fire separation but then there may be the issue of outside access, certainly one of code-mandated airflow if it's gas-fired.

Obviously, raise it 18" and then you don't have to worry.

Doesn't the local water authority require access to the water meter? Even if it has a wireless reader?

Jerry Peck
06-30-2014, 05:03 PM
As long as it is a closet off the garage ... it is considered in the garage.

The only way around that requirement is for the closet to open to the living space in addition to opening to the garage.

But if the closet only opens to the garage ... it is a closet off, and part of, the garage.

Trent Tarter
07-01-2014, 10:21 PM
How old is the water heater? In 2003 they started making FVIR (Flame Vapor Ignition Resistant) water heaters that do not require the 18" elevation in garages. However some local codes may still require 18" elevation.

Darren Miller
07-02-2014, 01:54 AM
As several have already stated, it's in the garage:

"Appliances having an ignition source shall be elevated such that the source of ignition is not less than 18 inches (457mm) above the floor in garages. For the purpose of this section, rooms or spaces that are not part of the living space of a dwelling unit and that communicate with a private garage through openings shall be considered to be part of the garage." M1307.3 of the 2006 IRC mechanical code.

Trent Tarter
07-02-2014, 08:18 AM
2003 International Fuel Gas Code 305.3 has an exception:
"Elevation of the ignition source is not required for appliances that are listed as flammable vapor resistant and for installation without elevation."

Garry Sorrells
07-02-2014, 08:39 AM
? Gas or Electric?

OIL ? SOLAR ? GEOTHERMAL ? NUCLEAR ?