PDA

View Full Version : Self Piercing Saddle Valves, Acceptable or Hack?

Bruce Ramsey
07-18-2014, 05:25 PM
Never been particularly happy with self piercing saddle valves but there are pretty common place for refrigerator ice makers, humidifers, and similar appliances.

Are they code approved? If not, does anyone a reference that states they are contra-indicated?
http://www.reefgeek.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/300x/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/f/a/farris_self_piercing_saddle_valve_half_inch_nut_pl ate.jpg

http://cloudfront.zoro.com/product/large/4GU27_AS01.JPG

Scott Patterson
07-18-2014, 06:26 PM
As far as I know they are about as "code" approved as a flexible drain line on a kitchen or bathroom sink!

Bruce Ramsey
07-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Well the code at least states plumbing pipe must be smooth wall so actually contra-indicates corrugated flex pipe.

I don't remember seeing anywhere that self piercing, self tapping valves are not allowed. Might be there, just can find it. Hoping someone could point to a specific reference. I can say I don't like them but that is not enough for me. I want an authoritive reference to confirm my dislike.

Dave Hahn
07-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Bruce....

In the 2012 North Carolina Plumbing Code which is based on the 2009 Int'l Code, Section P605.9(4) lists "saddle-type fittings" as one of the prohibited joints and connections.

Dave

Rick Cantrell
07-21-2014, 07:13 AM
I've been out of town for a few days so was unable to reply.

GA 2006 Plumbing code amendments (effective 1/1/2007)

605.9 Prohibited joints and connections.
4. Saddle-type fittings.
Exception: Saddle-type fittings can be used to connect refrigerator ice makers to an existing
residential unit water distribution system provided the manufacturer’s installation
instructions for the distribution piping do not prohibit the use of saddle fittings. Saddle
fittings can be used to install thermal expansion tanks to an existing residential unit water
distribution system if approved by the manufacturer of the tank.
(Effective January 1, 2007)

Also of interest
606.2 Location of shutoff valves.
4. Shutoff valves to water supplies for refrigerators with automatic icemakers shall be accessible
on the same floor as said refrigerators.
(Effective January 1, 2007)

Tom Rees
07-24-2014, 06:34 AM
In my opinion these things are junk. In my area they are used a lot to supply water to evaporative coolers. They have to be turned off and water drained from the supply line every fall. I can tell you that a large per cent of them fail. They are fine as long as you don't operate them. I had heard that they were not allowed in some areas and I agree that they should not be allowed. They are the lazy way out. Have a qualified plumber install a proper brass ball shut off valve. JMO!!