PDA

View Full Version : Odor in attic

RobertSmith
11-02-2007, 01:39 PM

Rick Hurst
11-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Robert,

Who would you think is a "appropriate" contractor?

I would just comment that a unknown odor was present in the attic and leave it at that.

Could be a dead rodent or some type of vermin urinating in the attic space.

I would not call it out as mildew unless I actually could see it.

JMHO

rick

David Banks
11-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Strong smelled of mildew like odor in the attic, but of course, do I know for sure its mildew? No....so what what would you say?

"Unknown odor smelled in attic. Have appropriate contractor determine cause and appropriate repairs needed?".

Note: Roof decking significantly water stained with rot damage at many locations. But of course, the homeowner just spent $4K replacing the shingles without replacing the decking. Go figure. Guess that $4k just went in the toilet.

Did you check water stains and rot damage with moisture meter? If sheathing was wet and you smelled mildew, I see no reason not to include that fact on your report. Just say what you observed.
Was insulation wet from past leaking?

Richard Stanley
11-02-2007, 02:54 PM
"It smells like something rotten (or whatever) in the attic and I don't know what it is."

Jerry Peck
11-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Robert,

See all those white things hanging down? Those are fungi (at least that's what they look like to me in those photos), and that is likely what you smelled.

I would add: Remove *new* roof covering, replace rotted roof decking, *replaced* roof covering ... again ... cleaning up the attic of any decaying material when the roof sheathing is off for replacement.

Rick Hurst
11-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Rick, I agree not to call out the mildew but should we as homeinspectors just "leave it a that". I mean, should we not tell the client what to do about that odor?

NO, I don't think so myself that we should tell them how to get rid of an odor. If you don't what is causing the odor, how can you make a call on how to handle it. Masking an odor is not getting rid of the source.

Now that Robert has posted some pic's after the fact, I would make note that the roof decking has water damages and it should be replaced.

JMHO

rick

Gunnar Alquist
11-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Robert,

If I smell a "musty" odor, I report it as a "musty" odor, state that it indicates an excessive moisture condition and that I am not qualified to test for mold or mildew. The source of moisture needs to be located and controlled/eliminated.

However, the stuff in your pics... Well, I would certainly talk about that. And, not just as a "musty" odor. That is certainly a problem that you can see. Could be caused by inadequate ventilation, roof leaks or both. (I think both)