PDA

View Full Version : Ridge vents Homemade? Shingles extedning over fascia?

cory nystul
08-29-2014, 08:21 PM
I was on a roof today that had SO many issues its not even funny.

TWO questions

#1. Is there a requirement for how far a shingle should extend over the fascia?

#2. Is the below ridge vent homemade? I have never seen this before. It is not fully covered by the shingles and it also extended off the end of the roof a good 6-8"

John Kogel
08-30-2014, 07:35 AM
Your pic doesn't show us anything.
Message to the 3 Corys. :D

Dom D'Agostino
08-30-2014, 07:42 AM
The ridge vent has a built in edge or louver (http://www.gaf.com/Residential_Roofing/Attic_Ventilation_Products/Cobra_Rigid_Vent_3/Cobra_Rigid_Vent_3_Attic_Exhaust_Ventilation_Sell_ Sheet.pdf), see them frequently. Keeps horizontal wind driven rain out.

Dom.

Billy Stephens
08-30-2014, 07:58 AM
The ridge vent has a built in edge or louver (http://www.gaf.com/Residential_Roofing/Attic_Ventilation_Products/Cobra_Rigid_Vent_3/Cobra_Rigid_Vent_3_Attic_Exhaust_Ventilation_Sell_ Sheet.pdf), see them frequently. Keeps horizontal wind driven rain out.

Dom.

Cory,

They also should not be installed to the end of the ridge but back as you described .

Jacob Sebrell
09-12-2014, 08:47 AM
I was on a roof today that had SO many issues its not even funny.

TWO questions

#1. Is there a requirement for how far a shingle should extend over the fascia?

#2. Is the below ridge vent homemade? I have never seen this before. It is not fully covered by the shingles and it also extended off the end of the roof a good 6-8"

This is an externally baffled ridge vent. This creates a Bernoulli effect, causing low pressure to develop on both sides of the vent which literally pulls air out of the attic. This is a very good type of ridge vent.

Nick Ostrowski
09-12-2014, 11:38 AM
I recommend baffled ridge vents over mesh ridge vents. The mesh ridge vents can be short circuited by winds as little as 5 mph that blow perpendicular to the mesh opening. The baffle pushes wind over top of the vent and creates the Bernoulli effect like Jacob mentioned.

Mark Reinmiller
09-12-2014, 08:00 PM
I believe the answer to the first question is typically 3/4".

Allen Ingling
09-20-2014, 04:55 PM
One should always read the directions printed on the shingle pack. I have done roofing, and seen lots of other's work. I rarely see roofers adhering to the directions on the pack. Typically, manufacturers recommend 1/2 to 3/4 inch extension beyond the drip edge (if the installer put drip edges on, many don't), otherwise same distance on whatever is there. I have seen edges extended two inches or more past roof edges, they invariably bend and break, exposing vulnerable materials.