PDA

View Full Version : proper trap

Cory Bates
08-29-2014, 10:26 PM
Shouldn't the horizontal arm of this trap be longer? Can you tell me what kind of dimensions i should be looking for?

Rick Cantrell
08-30-2014, 04:28 AM
The arm should be at least 2 times the width of the pipe.

Loren Sanders Sr.
08-30-2014, 10:16 AM

This photo also shows why the tail piece length should not be too long as too long could cause the trap to be washed out and ineffective.

Jerry Peck
08-30-2014, 10:50 AM

Looks like it meets that, but Loren brings up an excellent point with short trap arms:

This photo also shows why the tail piece length should not be too long as too long could cause the trap to be washed out and ineffective.

While a long end into the slip joint fitting will not fully block off the vent (it will block off the drain to the same extent), it will definitely block off a good portion of the vent (as well as the drain).

Cory Bates
08-30-2014, 11:03 AM
Soooo a plumber is needed right along with every other train possible for this house.

- - - Updated - - -

As a side note, I am SOOOO over country houses.

The realtor wasn't exactly sure that the house was even finaled. The crawlspace was a HUGE hazmat situation. Dead rats, mice, DROPPINGS EVERYWHERE, they also had plastic under the floor to support the insulation and that was FULL FULL FULL of droppings.

I am thinking about just burning the clothes.

John Kogel
08-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Whoa back. The trap is not textbook correct but I would not be so quick to condemn the plumbing over that minor detail. Has it leaked and caused problems?
OK the house has a rodent issue. Millions of houses do. Learn to put things in perspective or you will be twiddling your thumbs on the couch.