PDA

View Full Version : Contraption attached to whole house fan

Tom Cissell
09-23-2014, 06:04 AM
Does anyone know what this contraption is? The attic access panel was too small to actually get into the attic so I wasn't able to examine it any closer. There are only two static attic vents on the roof so I don't see how it could be an actuator to open a roof vent??? Your help is appreciated.

John Kogel
09-23-2014, 09:11 AM
I'd guess it was a roof vent contraption that was covered over when the shigles were replaced.

Jerry Peck
09-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Hard to tell from the resolution of the photo, but that could be a linear actuator which was powered on when the fan was powered on, the linear actuator extends or retracts and pulls the chain to open a vent in the roof - the vent would then be spring loaded or counter-weighted to automatically close when the actuator was not activated.

wayne soper
09-23-2014, 06:07 PM
who cares what that is, wtf is that chimney looking thing in the background. is that a single block width chimney?

- - - Updated - - -

who cares what that is, wtf is that chimney looking thing in the background. is that a single block width chimney?

Jerry Peck
09-23-2014, 07:28 PM

You mean that block chimney looking thing without proper clearances and that rafter dead ending into it without a header across to the adjacent rafters?

What block chimney looking thing? :)

Yeah, I noticed it too. :D