PDA

View Full Version : HVAC Adequacy ?

David Edens
11-06-2007, 12:09 PM
I recently inspected a 2505 sq foot (heated) house that was just built. The house was very well built and the HVAC system was properly installed as a single system unit, and it also served the bi-level home (1st floor was a basement). My question is in regards to the adequacy of the unit that is a four ton A/C and three burner 77,500 BTUHR output heater. I said in essence in the report that the adequacy needs to be checked by a licensed HVAC technician (since we don't determine adequacy). I blew out 97 degrees at the register after running 15 minutes on a 58 degrees day. Good call or not?

David Banks
11-06-2007, 12:16 PM
MA standards of practice says adequacy of system to heat the dwelling is an engineering service. I would recommend Mechanical engineer instead of HVAC technician.

Rick Hurst
11-06-2007, 03:21 PM
I blew out 97 degrees at the register after running 15 minutes on a 58 degrees day. Good call or not?

Man, your SOP's are tough. My running days have been over for quite some time. ;)

Rick

Eric Barker
11-06-2007, 06:01 PM
David E.,

You seem to be doubting your call for servicing. Rather than make an issue that may not exist, I would have told client to go through this winter and see how the system does. New house should have a warranty on it if there's a problem.

If the house is well built as you say, then the furnace may be just fine. Plus most furnaces now have lower temp. rise ratings which might be throwing you off.