PDA

View Full Version : Recessed wall from edge of foundation

Jeff Eastman
11-06-2007, 06:55 PM

Jerry Peck
11-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Is there configuration a concern? If so, what type of write up would you do? I'm concerned if about the siding contacting the ledge. 1976 home, no rot damage, cedar siding.

I would raise the red flag and wave it around.

There is a very good probability that water has been, is, and will be under there in the future, and that the wood siding, and sill plate, maybe even the studs could decay out.

Whenever I saw horizontal siding like that, it was a sure fire water collector at that horizontal joint.

Was that T1-11 turned on the horizontal? It is not made to be installed that way?

Is that cedar plywood with horizontal boards? They collect water along that horizontal joint.

By the texture on that little strip showing between those boards, it makes me think 'hardboard siding' with horizontal boards added - not good.

Jerry Peck
11-06-2007, 08:49 PM
I use this comment:

Exterior wall recessed back from the edge of the foundation with the siding contacting the foundation ledge at front location. Flashing details not present between bottom of siding and foundation to prevent water entry/rot damage or deterioration to siding

Robert,

*I* would be more concerned about 'the wall' instead of 'the siding'.

'The siding' would be relatively inexpensive to replace should you ever need to, but 'the wall' behind the siding ...

I think you need to make your statement more all inclusive to include 'the wall' behind the siding - to include 'everything possible' you can.

David Banks
11-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Robert,

*I* would be more concerned about 'the wall' instead of 'the siding'.

'The siding' would be relatively inexpensive to replace should you ever need to, but 'the wall' behind the siding ...

I think you need to make your statement more all inclusive to include 'the wall' behind the siding - to include 'everything possible' you can.

I always add something on the lines of " Risk of concealed damage"

Jerry Peck
11-06-2007, 09:07 PM

Yeah, but I'd still tell them 'what' concealed damage - 'such as the structural wall', meaning 'do not ignore this, and, if you do, do not call me'.

I liked to get into those 'What's the worst that could happen?' discussions with real estate agents and builders, gets you to really think about 'the worst' potential damage, and changes you whole way of looking at, and thinking about, things you see while inspecting.

David Banks
11-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Yeah, but I'd still tell them 'what' concealed damage - 'such as the structural wall', meaning 'do not ignore this, and, if you do, do not call me'.

I liked to get into those 'What's the worst that could happen?' discussions with real estate agents and builders, gets you to really think about 'the worst' potential damage, and changes you whole way of looking at, and thinking about, things you see while inspecting.

I was talking to a Realtor this summer who told me about a house a HI told the people about some rotted window sills. She told the people to have it checked by a carpenter before closing. They declined. A year later they decided to have some windows and sills replaced. $30,000 dollars later due to severe structural damage on a couple of walls. I use the "Risk of concealed damage" now even for window sill rot.
She said they did not blame HI because he told them about rotted sills. Some may not be so forgiving.

Kevin Barre
11-07-2007, 08:24 PM
It's a little hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like you have a vertical panel siding with a 1X window trim applied over the siding and a 1X base above the concrete "ledge" which presumably caps (or is) the foundation.
My stock comment in situations such as these is that if you leave a horizontal ledge for water to stand on, it will. And as it stands there it will migrate under the adjacent components of the home, causing rot. In your pic, I see no flashing, and I can't detect any slope to the concrete sill -- not from the photo, anyway. While real cedar is rot resistant --up to a point -- I would still be very concerned about damage to the plate and wall structure. At some point, you have to pay the piper. If it's not damaged now, it will happen later. How soon? I don't know. How deep are the overhangs? Are there gutters?

If the sill slopes properly, there may not be any issues currently. But I still say that flashing under the wall would be a real good idea.

Vince Santos
11-07-2007, 11:48 PM

IMO that's a good idea to mention.

I always note the visual damage and mention the fact that those areas not visible, behind the siding, may also be damage and possibly extensively.