PDA

View Full Version : What causes bulking of paint?

cory nystul
12-11-2014, 11:22 PM
What would cause the paint on the side of this window to buckle? No other issues were noted around the window.

Ian Page
12-12-2014, 01:09 AM
What would cause the paint on the side of this window to buckle? No other issues were noted around the window.

It's not exactly the paint buckling. Looks like the drywall tape covering the corner bead has lost adhesion, probably imbedded with insufficient mud.

Scott Patterson
12-12-2014, 06:31 AM
It's not exactly the paint buckling. Looks like the drywall tape covering the corner bead has lost adhesion, probably imbedded with insufficient mud.

Yep, it's a corner bead problem. Look at the split line going up towards the top of the window. I would also be that the home has a little settlement , maybe compaction settlement to make the drywall mud buckle like that.

Jerry Peck
12-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Could also be that someone/something hit the corner bead, causing it to separate along the edge of the corner bead, and there may be no tape on it - just texture, and the texture split along the edge of the corner bead and buckled where the texture did not have as much adhesion.

Just some additional possibilities to those already mentioned by others.

Mark Reinmiller
12-12-2014, 07:35 PM
Looks like too thin a layer of spackle on the corner bead and separated due to poor bonding.

I have not seen paper tap used over corner beads.

Jerry Peck
12-12-2014, 09:07 PM
I have not seen paper tap used over corner beads.

I've seen it occasionally but not very often ... I think they use tape to help cover up other problems, such as an edge damaged too much to properly install the corner bead over - corner beads are intended for use without applying paper tape over them ... but you know how workers "fix" things on a construction site ... :(

It doesn't take much to break a corner bead loose with the way they install them nowadays (over the last 30-40 years) using that tool which holds the corner bead in place with little dimples/wedges punched through into the drywall. Not like when we used to use screws to hold the corner bead in place - it stayed in place pretty good with screws.