PDA

View Full Version : E & O rates for a single inspection

Don Emerson
11-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Help!!!!!- In my initial research, I remember running across an E&O company that would let you pay for each individual inspection. That would meet my needs right now as I try to set up my website and get the marketing thing going. Anybody out there doing that now? How hard is it to convert? I am still getting things together and some people who know me are wanting me to do their inspections,:)

Scott Patterson
11-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Help!!!!!- In my initial research, I remember running across an E&O company that would let you pay for each individual inspection. That would meet my needs right now as I try to set up my website and get the marketing thing going. Anybody out there doing that now? How hard is it to convert? I am still getting things together and some people who know me are wanting me to do their inspections,:)

Hi neighbor!

The major problem with Pay as You Go E&O is that it the State of Tennessee will not allow it. You must have a G&L policy and an E&O policy in place to satisfy the license requirement. The pay as you go does not meet the requirements.

Also do not do an inspection until you have your license. Outside of the fine if you are caught for you and the agent, the reports can not be used in a real estate transaction.

Call me if I can help.

Ben Garrison
11-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Scott's right... I was going to suggest going to Allen Insurance, but due to the licensing requirement, that's not going to work for you.

Rick Hurst
11-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Its going to be tough to be a part-time inspector for a lot of these guys who can't afford the cost of E&O.

rick

Don Emerson
11-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Scott,
I did not know that the state would not allow PAYG E&O. I wouldn't dream of doing an unlicensed inspection. I am in the continuous learning mode at this time and am accumulating tools and learning how to use them correctly before I even apply for the license. I have been in building all my life and I am doing my best to catch up on new building materials and construction techniques. I plan to do an LLC and get some code training before I jump off in the deep end. This job has to be taken seriously and I try to be the best at whatever I do and learn all I can. I would like to know about local associations that do training and when they meet etc. If you have info along those lines, I'd appreciate a PM with the details. I would like to buy you a cup of coffee at Saxby's sometimes just to get to meet you. I already know you are good at what you do by your contributions to this and other forums. Thanks for the heads up on the insurance.
Don

Guys, pardon my syntax- I need to figure out how to put your quotes in the box and how to put the line separator between the last line and my signature.

Don Emerson
11-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Rick,
When I start, I will be full time. I made the mistake of telling people at church and where I work that I am preparing to became a home inspector and they are coming out of the woodwork wanting me to do inspections. I'll have to refer them until I am licensed. Know any good inspectors in my area?

Jack Feldmann
11-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Don,
The East Tennessee Chapter of ASHI (ETASHI) is having their chapter meeting and education session on Saturday, 11/17/07 from 8:30am - 3pm in Knoxville. It would be a great place to meet other inspectors and get a lot of your questions answered. We have a candidates hour for covering some basic stuff for the newer guys. as well as the regular business meeting and education session.

If you would like to attend (there is a cost to cover lunch and the education) send me an e-mail and I will take care of getting your reservation.
jack

Scott Patterson
11-08-2007, 08:15 AM
To add on to Jack's post. The Mid-Tennessee ASHI Chapter just had their meeting a couple of weeks ago and will not meet till after the first of the year. The chapters piss poor website is The Middle Tennessee Chapter of ASHI - American Society of Home Inspectors (http://www.midtnashi.com). Yes, I'm not happy with the website, it has been in the works for the past year and a half!

Erby Crofutt
11-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Don, you asked

Know any good inspectors in my area?

I ain't from there but it is my understanding that there is a really good inspector there named Scott Patterson. You might look him up. He'll probably also provide some good ideas on geting started.

As far as the signature thing goes, click on User CP in the upper left corner. It will let you edit your automatically inserted signature, profile, etc.

For the "quote" thingy,

Click on the "post reply" button at the lower left.

Scroll down past the text insert box (where you enter your message).

Find the text you want to quote and copy it.

Paste it into the text reply box.

Highlight it.

Click the quote icon at the far right side of the format toolbar.
(Hover your mouse over it and it'll pop up with "Wrap [quote] tags around selected text"

Then type your reply and submit.

PS, you can also just copy and paste the text then type
(use the square brackets not the parenthesis)

(QUOTE) before the text and (/QUOTE) after it it.

Good luck.

Dennis Davis
11-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Hey Don,
I'm new to the industry also and know the problem of finding reasonable E&O insurance. I don't know if it will help but this is who I used here in knoxville. I checked around to different national carriers and Rob had the best deal for me.

Robert Brown
Lawyer's Professional Liability Broker
William Knight Insurance Agency
1717 Winston Rd.
Knoxville, TN. 37919
Ph: 865-560-8737
Fx: 865-670-2880
email:robb@wkia.us

Tom Munds
12-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Scott,
I did not know that the state would not allow PAYG E&O. I wouldn't dream of doing an unlicensed inspection. I am in the continuous learning mode at this time and am accumulating tools and learning how to use them correctly before I even apply for the license. I have been in building all my life and I am doing my best to catch up on new building materials and construction techniques. I plan to do an LLC and get some code training before I jump off in the deep end. This job has to be taken seriously and I try to be the best at whatever I do and learn all I can. I would like to know about local associations that do training and when they meet etc. If you have info along those lines, I'd appreciate a PM with the details. I would like to buy you a cup of coffee at Saxby's sometimes just to get to meet you. I already know you are good at what you do by your contributions to this and other forums. Thanks for the heads up on the insurance.
Don

Guys, pardon my syntax- I need to figure out how to put your quotes in the box and how to put the line separator between the last line and my signature.
Look on the bright side Don, at least you have been in building all your life. I switched over aprox 3 yrs ago from the office equipment repair biz....I bet you feel better now, don't you...I have been buried in books, ride alongs and research and classes when not doing inspections. Good luck!