PDA

View Full Version : Concrete tile roof

Frank Bombardiere
11-07-2007, 07:57 PM
I inspected a 1982 home with the original Spanish style concrete tile roof and there was no felt paper, just some foil insulation board for sheathing. I don't see these types of roofs much. I seem to remember that you can use this type of roofing with no underlayment if it is greater than 4 in 12. However, the tiles are no longer mostly decorative installed this way and are far more likely to leak with cracked tiles. I believe the standard now is to have underlayment, but do not believe it was required here when this home was built. I have certainly never seen this type of foil backed board used for sheathing. I could not tell if there were any slats or if the tiles were just fastened to the 16OC rafters. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Frank Bombardiere
11-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Here are some pics. The last one is of their ingenious way of venting the dryer in the attic without the lint. The lid was cut out and a filter installed.

Billy Stephens
11-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Fred,

There are several threads on this Subject.

I pulled down Search Feature on the Tool Bar. Concrete Tile Roofs.

Ron bishop 10-22-07, Paul Bukeavich 6-14-07(pdf with this one) :)

Gunnar Alquist
11-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Frank,

Around here, I often see the older tile roofs installed over skip sheathing with no underlayment. This seems to have been common through much of the '70s and '80s. Typically, when a solid sheathing (waferboard or plywood) is used, there is a layer of felt paper over the sheathing and then 1x2 battens are nailed to the sheathing through the felt paper. It is these battens that the tiles are hooked onto. However, it is possible that in 1982 the roofer did not use felt paper but still used a solid sheathing. In my opinion, cracked corners on tiles are generally not a problem. Broken or displaced tiles are. I let people know that this type of roof installation is prone to leaking as there is no secondary layer under the tiles. I look for worn glaze as this will result in water soaking through the tiles. Also, look for splits and wear on the lead flashings. I have not heard the "greater than 4 in 12" comment before.

If you check the archives as Billy suggested, you will find information about other installation methods from (you guessed it) Jerry P.

I occasionally see a foil backed waferboard sheathing in newer homes. However, I have never seen it in anything prior to the late '90s. Might have been used before that in hotter climates than are found in this area. My understanding is that it is supposed to be a radiant barrier, but I do not know what effect it might have.

Oh, yeah... What is with the big tupperware bin with the flex?

Frank Bombardiere
11-09-2007, 09:44 AM
There was definately no solid sheathing as you could peak between the foil board and see the underside of the tiles. That is why I was concerned about the cracked corners. There were also a few that were cracked in the center as well.

That is a dryer vent. Someone cut the top of the tubs lid and installed a filter in the top to keep the lint out of the attic. I just put it on there for laughs.