PDA

View Full Version : Just saying ...

tom daley
01-05-2015, 03:41 PM
I always, if possible, secure ladders by tying-in to the structure at the top of the ladder. I often use screw rings and thread two of them into any handy positions - rafter tails etc.

I also keep at least three rungs or 36" or so above the roofline.

I use stand-offs if necessary, and secure the ladder foot if possible. If anyone is available and willing, then i would ask them to foot the ladder.

A cautionary tale was of a householder who climbed onto a wet slate roof on a wet and windy night to fix a hole where slates had blown off, and water was pouring in. He took up a sheet of cardboard (a flattened box) and was sent sailing the moment he stepped onto the roof.

Roy Lewis
01-05-2015, 05:57 PM
I often use screw rings and thread two of them into any handy positions - rafter tails etc.
That is invasive and unnecessary in most cases. Why don't you just set up scaffolding .
Again unnecessary.

Jerry Peck
01-05-2015, 06:35 PM
That is invasive and unnecessary in most cases. Why don't you just set up scaffolding .
Again unnecessary.

I suspect that he is not referring to "screw rings" as being "eye hooks" which he screws into the structure (invasive as you referred to it), but rather that he is referring to quick links (Curt Trailer Hitches Details - Del City (http://www.delcity.net/cartviewitem?item=CURT82610&r=IF1003&mkwid=TVP0IKju&crid=38094426869&gclid=Cj0KEQiAiamlBRCgj83PiYm6--gBEiQArnojD41upY6pgo6GLqKr62mcVG7q31SfUfMoSVfQfw1c aDAaAuhF8P8HAQ) ) for chains which has a nut/thread on one side of the link which screws closed/open.

I suspect he uses them as one would use a carabiner clip ( Magellan Carabiner Clip | Trade Show Giveaways | 0.43 Ea. (http://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/tradeshow-promotions/magellan-carabiner-clip.htm?variant=BLANK&imageID=66036&gclid=Cj0KEQiAiamlBRCgj83PiYm6--gBEiQArnojDwPvaqyE4vZ8_SJ8brOddsNZG0_R2KNn5o51bLvt HvAaApq-8P8HAQ) ).

Michael Koester
01-18-2015, 06:07 AM
OSHA likes to see three rungs above the edge. A roofer friend was fined $10,000 for not having three rungs above the edge (along with a few other items). Three rungs is nice anyway.