PDA

View Full Version : water heater veny pipe slope

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
01-13-2015, 12:45 PM
guys
http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachment.php?attachmentid=31349&d=1421178273&thumb=1&stc=1
is this negative slope allowed on the water heater vent pipe

thanks

cvf

Raymond Wand
01-13-2015, 01:34 PM
Yes, looks fine to me.

Lon Henderson
01-14-2015, 07:07 AM
Yes, looks fine to me.

Agree.

I don't think there is any code regarding paint on the flue, but I don't think painting the flue is a best practice.

Jerry Peck
01-14-2015, 07:21 AM
is this negative slope allowed on the water heater vent pipe

No, a negative slope is not allowed. (That was the question.)

However, that negative slope is short enough that it may not create a negative effect.

More important may be the lack of supports/straps.

Garry Sorrells
01-14-2015, 07:47 AM
Sorry Raymond, I cast my lot with Jerry. Technically not correct but in practical application here will not cause a problem. Which may be what you want to note. If for no other reason than to demonstrate that you looked at it.

That must be a real short furnace, or is just an illusion.

Lon Henderson
01-14-2015, 08:20 AM
More important may be the lack of supports/straps.
Those runs don't look long enough to need strapping.

Sorry Raymond, I cast my lot with Jerry. Technically not correct but in practical application here will not cause a problem. Which may be what you want to note. If for no other reason than to demonstrate that you looked at it.

That must be a real short furnace, or is just an illusion.
Without speaking for Raymond, my comment was meant to more in line with Jerry's. The negative run here is too short to cause a problem.

Funny you mention a short furnace because I thought the same thing.

Jerry Peck
01-14-2015, 08:43 AM
Those runs don't look long enough to need strapping.

Looks to me that two sections should be supported (strapped): the 45 degree run from the water heater and the nearly horizontal run from the furnace (or whatever that is from).

Raymond Wand
01-14-2015, 09:39 AM
I don't think its worth writing up as deficient. At first I thought the angle was the result of the angle of the photo, but upon second look I see the small horizontal run is off by maybe a 1/4".

John Kogel
01-14-2015, 06:10 PM
I think it would go in my report as an observation. 'If the WH produces a lot of condensation it might cause corrosion of the furnace vent'.
Then it will depend on the lifestyle of the occupants, and probably they will do nothing about it.

:( I wonder of the paint is concealing rust?

Billy Stephens
01-14-2015, 06:55 PM
Then it will depend on the lifestyle of the occupants, and probably they will do nothing about it.

Yeah just some ole Granola Eaters.;)

Raymond Wand
01-14-2015, 08:20 PM
In my view condensation likely would not be a problem. The flue runs up through the house, so it's always warm, plus a naturally aspirated furnace with standing pilot coming up below the HW tee will help in keeping the flue warm. Paint is not going to hide corrosion in my opinion.

Garry Sorrells
01-15-2015, 04:32 AM
Raymond,
I stood on my chair trying to see down to the wee little furnace, but couldn't see if. Do I need to get higher above the screen to see it????? Or is it your Latitude above CO that gives the better perspective???:peep:

Ken Rowe
01-15-2015, 10:03 PM
A negative slope is never allowed, no matter how short of distance. Write it up, or when the brother-in-law plumber comes to visit and says "your home inspector should have caught that" you'll be paying to have it corrected.

Mark Hagenlock
01-16-2015, 03:44 PM
What do you suppose the odds are, that the original installation did not include an improper slope. But the lack of support is the result?

Raymond Wand
01-16-2015, 03:55 PM
or... what came first the furnace installation or the water heater? Perhaps the slope was correct until the furnace got installed and vice versa.

David Bertrams
01-19-2015, 08:14 AM
I've never seen a shut-of valve in a PEX loop before. I agree with Jerry... strap it.