PDA

View Full Version : New IR Thermometer

Jim Robinson
04-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Anyone have experience with the Raytek Minitemp MT-4 Infrared Thermometer? I was thinking of picking one up this spring.

Brian E Kelly
04-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Can't say that I know anything about the therm., but I have a Fluke and it cost me about $100.00. Works like a dream and the customers think it is a good toy. Keeps them busy so I can do my work.

David Banks
04-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Jim. I have the Raytek MT6. Like it a lot. no problems. I think I paid around 70 bucks last summer.

Steve Gladstone
04-11-2007, 05:39 AM
I use one on all inspections. They are a big help. Gives me instant readings on lots of items and impresses the clients...

heat/cooling plenums & registers
panel boxes
electric coils & elements
water temps
ceiling readings in high ceiling rooms/ cathedral ceilings
attic spaces
refrigerator, freezer
drafty outlets
weatherstripping

and you can tell how hot your Realtor is !

Scott Patterson
04-11-2007, 06:12 AM
I used one yesterday to confirm that insulation was missing along a vaulted ceiling during a warranty inspection. I found 6 bays that were missing insulation along the ceiling.

David Banks
04-11-2007, 06:57 AM
Good point Scott. This winter I took the temp on an uninsulated exterior wall. 1952 Ranch. And then took temp. of new addition room with insulation. Ten degree difference pointed at plaster. What was your differential in the bays insulated and not?
Dave

Scott Patterson
04-11-2007, 07:23 AM
Good point Scott. This winter I took the temp on an uninsulated exterior wall. 1952 Ranch. And then took temp. of new addition room with insulation. Ten degree difference pointed at plaster. What was your differential in the bays insulated and not?
Dave

The ceiling with insulation was 70f to 71f without the insulation it was 58f to 60f. But then the outside temp was 55f.

During the summer months you will find a larger swing in the temps.