PDA

View Full Version : Heat Pump damage

michael brown
02-06-2015, 08:41 AM
Heat Pump had some damage to cooling fins. This was a new look to me. Anyone familiar with this phenomenon? Didn't appear to be impact. My client suggested a dog urinating on the appliance. Thanks for your feedback, Michael

Lon Henderson
02-06-2015, 08:50 AM
Heat Pump had some damage to cooling fins. This was a new look to me. Anyone familiar with this phenomenon? Didn't appear to be impact. My client suggested a dog urinating on the appliance. Thanks for your feedback, Michael

With 99% certainty, dog urine. My condenser looks identical. (yep, shame on me for letting the dog damage it, but in my feeble defense, I don't check on the condenser very often when the a/c is working fine.)

Jack Feldmann
02-06-2015, 12:54 PM
Yep! Likely dog urine.

Trent Tarter
02-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Heat Pump had some damage to cooling fins. This was a new look to me. Anyone familiar with this phenomenon? Didn't appear to be impact. My client suggested a dog urinating on the appliance. Thanks for your feedback, MichaelShould have gave it the ole sniff test.

Eric Barker
02-06-2015, 04:58 PM
Dog PeePee - I'll go with 100% certainty.

Jerry Peck
02-06-2015, 05:42 PM
Corrosion of the aluminum cooling fins can be caused by various things, the most often cause I have seen is from salt spray from the ocean ... BUT ...

The shape of that corrosion and the location of it being limited to the corner of the condenser unit, and the likelihood that you are not near the ocean (Pacific for you, Atlantic for me) - I'm going to go with the dog marking his territory too. :)

michael brown
02-06-2015, 09:08 PM
Thanks all for the feedback. Will try the "Sniff Test" next one I come across.
Michael

Dave Borowski
02-10-2015, 02:03 PM
I've seen it hundreds of times - it's dog urine. If it were higher up on the coil - I've seen off gassing from pool chemicals render the same results, but in this case - it's a pup
Thanks all for the feedback. Will try the "Sniff Test" next one I come across.
Michael

Jeff Zehnder
02-10-2015, 05:52 PM
I would like to see a photo of anyone performing the sniff test