PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Evaporator coil

Omargarcia
02-11-2015, 10:01 AM
What are the potential issues with a Frozen Evaporator coil and Condenser coil. Thanks for the help!

Brian Hannigan
02-11-2015, 10:05 AM
Hi Omargarcia and welcome to InspectionNews!

I hope you find everything you are looking for on this site.

If I can help you in any way just let me know.

If you are a business owner please accept this gift for making your first post: http://www.inspectionreferral.com

If you are a home buyer, seller or DIYer, this gift is for you: http://www.inspectionnews.net/home-inspection-inspector/referrals/member.php

Vern Heiler
02-11-2015, 12:24 PM
What are the potential issues with a Frozen Evaporator coil and Condenser coil. Thanks for the help!
#1. Is this a heat pump?
#2. What coil is frozen, (indoor or outdoor)?
#3. Are you in Maryland, and what is the outdoor temperature and moisture?

Dave Borowski
02-11-2015, 03:47 PM
Frozen coils require a tech on-site to evaluate, causes include: 1) Poor air flow - can be as simple as a clogged filter or as extreme as a bad motor 2) Incorrect refrigerant charge... where did it leak? 3) Contaminated refrigerant 4) Restriction in the metering device - moisture 5) Crushed or undersized duct work 6) Mismatched equipment or a combination of multiple items. This condition MUST be remedied - left unattended will wash the bearings out of a compressor.

Jerry Peck
02-11-2015, 08:04 PM
#1. Is this a heat pump?
#2. What coil is frozen, (indoor or outdoor)?
#3. Are you in Maryland, and what is the outdoor temperature and moisture?

Frozen coils require a tech on-site to evaluate, causes include: 1) Poor air flow - can be as simple as a clogged filter or as extreme as a bad motor 2) Incorrect refrigerant charge... where did it leak? 3) Contaminated refrigerant 4) Restriction in the metering device - moisture 5) Crushed or undersized duct work 6) Mismatched equipment or a combination of multiple items. This condition MUST be remedied - left unattended will wash the bearings out of a compressor.

May be nothing wrong with it - if it is a heat pump and it is the outdoor coil which froze up ... stand there for a while and it might go into defrost most and defrost itself.

Inside coil is a different issue, but I doubt the a/c was running in this weather ... :)

(Well, okay, I had the a/c on in the vehicle today while out doing inspections, but that's "down here". :D