PDA

View Full Version : Direct vent clearance

Tom Rees
02-12-2015, 02:50 PM
Hi all, I need a little help. I have looked everywhere and cannot find the clearance for in front of a direct vent for gas fireplace. This is installed between the house and deck stairs. The decking is composite not wood. I have a data sheet with all clearances above grade, to windows etc. etc. but nowhere can I find the clearance for in front of the vent. Maybe I am overlooking something else here. Thanks!!

Scott Patterson
02-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Hi all, I need a little help. I have looked everywhere and cannot find the clearance for in front of a direct vent for gas fireplace. This is installed between the house and deck stairs. The decking is composite not wood. I have a data sheet with all clearances above grade, to windows etc. etc. but nowhere can I find the clearance for in front of the vent. Maybe I am overlooking something else here. Thanks!!

This might help
http://www.regency-fire.com/Files/Manuals/P90-918-525.aspx

Tom Rees
02-12-2015, 06:04 PM
Thanks Scott, That is the diagram I have in my inspection book for quick reference but the one thing it doesn't show is the clearance directly in front of vent.

Jerry Peck
02-12-2015, 06:27 PM
When it is firing, can you hold your hand on the combustible material in front of it, or is the combustible material too hot to keep your hand there?

If you can't keep your hand there, it is likely too close.

Tom Rees
02-12-2015, 06:43 PM
That's another point. None of the fireplaces had ever had the pilots lit or been used (2011 house). I called for a gas appliance contractor to inspect the fireplaces. I will have them check the clearance while they are there.

Eric Barker
02-13-2015, 04:44 PM
Maybe I am overlooking something else here. Thanks!!

My approach would be raising a question how well the plastic railing and balusters would withstand the heat. I would write that regardless of what the fireplace specifications said.

Tom Rees
02-13-2015, 05:28 PM
My approach would be raising a question how well the plastic railing and balusters would withstand the heat. I would write that regardless of what the fireplace specifications said.
I agree.

Stephen Tilleux
02-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Hi all, I need a little help. I have looked everywhere and cannot find the clearance for in front of a direct vent for gas fireplace.

Considering the clearance Clearance under veranda, porch, deck, or balcony is 12" then the front clearance (for combustables) will be at least 12". The mechanical code in your area may require more.
All that said, way too close to wood/plastic, And that cap can not be replaced with it's 6-8" tail peice without deconstruction of the stairs. I would expect melting plastic railing and balusters with extended use (or burning, because fire).

I would call FPI (regency) tech and ask.