PDA

View Full Version : Quality Foundation Repair, Indiana Style

Jeff Gainey
02-20-2015, 07:25 PM
I thought I would share a unique fix to a failed basement foundation wall in a home built in 1910.
Only in Indiana? Probably not.

David OKeefe
02-21-2015, 05:45 AM
That'll hold her! :flypig:

Garry Sorrells
02-21-2015, 05:56 AM
Something like a finger in a dike.

Was the basement dug out after the house was built?

Jeff Gainey
02-21-2015, 07:38 AM
It looks like the original wall system but could have been a repair on the outside. The outside block has failed along with this one. Quite a few of these old farms had an interior wall with shelf around the perimeter used as a cold storage or root cellar. It was strange in one corner there was an opening in the parging and there is a wood piece behind it. Not a good combination....like an Eat at Joe's sign for termites.

Lon Henderson
02-21-2015, 08:10 AM
I like to see pressure treated lumber used for the lean to support:p

That "shelf" isn't designed for canned goods storage, just convenient. I saw a similar old house a few weeks ago with rusting pipes used for reinforcement in the foundation. There's a very good reason why they don't build 'em like they used to.

Fred Sweezer Sr
02-22-2015, 03:42 AM
You can tell they did not call in a Structural Engineer for Calc's! Before they performed the repair!

Regards

Fred Sweezer Sr.
www.thelongbeachhomeinspector.com (http://www.thelongbeachhomeinspector.com)

- - - Updated - - -

You can tell they did not call in a Structural Engineer for Calc's! Before they performed the repair!

Regards

Fred Sweezer Sr.
www.thelongbeachhomeinspector.com (http://www.thelongbeachhomeinspector.com)

Cale Cameron
02-22-2015, 12:17 PM
Are those railroad spikes?

gary carroll
02-27-2015, 08:18 AM

They may look similar, but they are Foundation Brace Retaining Pins (patent pending), available from Powak Products for only $24.95 each.
Note that they may look rusty and pitted, but that's actually a careful treatment that leaves them textured and coated in iron oxide, to enhance their bond and make them more visually attractive. This treatment alone is worth the price, as it takes years to apply.

Send me the money and I'll arrange to get you some. Lots of a dozen get a 5% discount.

For $200 I can also supply a specialized Foundation Brace Retaining Pin Insertion Tool.

:p

- - - Updated - - -

They may look similar, but they are Foundation Brace Retaining Pins (patent pending), available from Powak Products for only $24.95 each.
Note that they may look rusty and pitted, but that's actually a careful treatment that leaves them textured and coated in iron oxide, to enhance their bond and make them more visually attractive. This treatment alone is worth the price, as it takes years to apply.

Send me the money and I'll arrange to get you some. Lots of a dozen get a 5% discount.

For $200 I can also supply a specialized Foundation Brace Retaining Pin Insertion Tool.

Cale Cameron
02-27-2015, 09:01 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Lol! Nice one, Gary! The checks in the mail!

bob smit
02-27-2015, 05:47 PM
In Indiana Jeff? You can bet on it. Many years ago I wired a small med clinic for a contractor.
The building contractor pulled the E permit as I was out-of-state. The builder only had to be
"bonded" for electrical work. I believe they had to test for the bonding originally.?

During the inspection the E inspector asked about my qualifications. He laughed when I said I was
a licensed Master E, that is until I produced my actual license.
Seems such an idea was foreign to him. Pun intended.

Jeff, did you call out the unused C E E?