PDA

View Full Version : NO Deck lag screws or bolts ?

Sam Morris
02-27-2015, 02:27 PM
Inspected house today and found the deck band joist had no lag screws or bolts where it connect to house (only nails). My question is how do you attach lag bolts or screws into a Manufactured I Joist framing?

Bruce Ramsey
02-27-2015, 05:34 PM
Google: Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide.

Brent Williams
03-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Inspected house today and found the deck band joist had no lag screws or bolts where it connect to house (only nails). My question is how do you attach lag bolts or screws into a Manufactured I Joist framing?

Through bolts (carriage) or Simpson makes good connectors. Nails only is a recipe for disaster on manufactured joists. Make sure of the flashing too.

- - - Updated - - -

Through bolts (carriage) or Simpson makes good connectors. Nails only is a recipe for disaster on manufactured joists. Make sure of the flashing too.

Raymond Wand
03-03-2015, 04:36 AM
Lack of sufficient nailing of joist hangers.

Mike Borchardt
03-06-2015, 11:11 PM

Are you sure the rim board is an "I" joist?

Len Inkster
03-13-2015, 11:30 PM
Deck ledgers cannot be attached to non-structural I-joists rims. As you can't see the thickness of the I-Joist without drilling right through it, regardless of the connection type (which in this case is nails and wrong whatever) I'd recommend it is inspected by an engineer.

Len Inkster
03-14-2015, 01:52 PM
No such thing as a rim I-joist. It is called a Rim/Band Joist Board and does not have any I in it. ;)
I suggest you go and talk to someone other than me who also knows how homes were built in the 80's, with I-Joists in favour of the then unavailable engineered rim boards.

edit:

Check out Mike Guertin's post here: Fastening Deck Ledger to an I-Joist Floor - JLC Online

(http://www.jlconline.com/decks/fastening-deck-ledger-to-an-i-joist-floor_o.aspx)second edit:

And before you call someone out about there being no I in I-Joist you might want to check here:

Weyerhaeuser :: TJIĀ® Joists (http://www.woodbywy.com/trus-joist/tji-joists/)

Len Inkster
03-14-2015, 06:18 PM
No one said you where wrong. That includes my comment. LOL
There is still no such thing a Rim I-Joist or an I-Joist Rim. :)
I give up!

Len Inkster
03-15-2015, 07:35 AM
You could not lead or would you ever even lead one of my best students. Your comments tell me everything about you and you are going down faster than a lead sinker on fishing line.
Once again showing your true level of professionalism to the last.

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
03-15-2015, 03:34 PM
BRIAN

please enough of the Canadian inspector battles on inspectionnews--two guys on this thread and how many threads-I'M sure the third will soon relpy--please get this guy Woods to stop--he is out of control-and now the bad blood between these past MASTER INTERNACHI inspectors is taking over this web site--HELP

cvf

Steve Payson
09-15-2015, 04:30 AM
Hehe, another hilarious episode of "The Ontario Home Inspector Show" brought to you by Len, Kevin, and Ray. Still waiting for ol' Roy to chime in.

Raymond Wand
09-15-2015, 08:53 AM
Hehe, another hilarious episode of "The Ontario Home Inspector Show" brought to you by Len, Kevin, and Ray. Still waiting for ol' Roy to chime in.

Obviously with 32 years of construction experience you know nothing about ethical professional associations! But as a Nacho member I wouldn't expect any more. Perhaps you will find solace on the Nacho forum.

How much did you pay Nick for the Contractor Experience Logo?

Steve Payson
09-16-2015, 04:28 AM
Obviously with 32 years of construction experience you know nothing about ethical professional associations! But as a Nacho member I wouldn't expect any more. Perhaps you will find solace on the Nacho forum.

Full Definition of INCOHERENT

1. lacking orderly continuity, arrangement, or relevance

2. lacking normal clarity or intelligibility in speech or thought

3. Unable to think or express one's thoughts in a clear or orderly manner

4. not logical or well-organized; not easy to understand

5. lacking in clarity or organization; disordered

6. unable to express oneself clearly; inarticulate

Raymond Wand
09-16-2015, 04:31 AM
Which one do you subscribe to? Thanks for the laugh.

ROBERT YOUNG
11-22-2015, 12:53 PM
Observation: Insufficient joist hanger fasteners.
The joist hangers will not function as intended.
Recommend: Evaluate the joist connections and fasteners by a licensed bonded general contractor. Act upon any recommendations therein.

LUS/HUS/HHUS/HGUS Double Shear Joist Hangers (http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/LUS-HUS.asp#gallery)

Ever think those two will go out on a date?