PDA

View Full Version : AKA Sub-Panel

Sam Morris
04-06-2015, 06:20 PM
Looks like to me this 50 amp AKA detached garage sub-panel has the neutrals and grounds bonded together. If so this would be incorrect

Jim Port
04-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Three wire feeders to outbuilding were allowed under the NEC as long as no metallic path existed between buildings. The neutrals and grounds were bonded like a service.

Sam Morris
04-07-2015, 03:17 PM
I thought on all downstream panels the neutral and ground had to be separated ? Is that with three wire and four service, has the code change now

- - - Updated - - -

I thought on all downstream panels the neutral and ground had to be separated ? Is that with three wire and four service, has the code change now

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
04-07-2015, 03:43 PM
LOOKS to me they are on seperate bus bars--am I missing something

cvfa

Jim Port
04-07-2015, 03:49 PM
The neutrals and grounds are on separate bars, The connector between the bars runs under the hot bus effectively making them the same.

Three wire feeders to detached buildings were allowed as I said in post #2.

Jerry Peck
04-07-2015, 05:21 PM
That back fed main has no secondary hold down clamp or screw.

Jerry Peck
04-07-2015, 05:27 PM
I thought on all downstream panels the neutral and ground had to be separated ?

That is correct ... except for detached buildings back when three conductor feeder with no ground were permitted - and only at the 'service equipment' panel at the detached building (I referred to it as the 'service equipment panel as the panel is required to be listed and labeled as "Suitable for use as service equipment" even though it is "not actually" "service equipment").

Is that with three wire and four service, has the code change now

With four wire (three plus a separate ground) feeders are installed the neutral is required to be isolated from ground at the detached buildings.