PDA

View Full Version : whats does eifs look like

daniel nantell
11-14-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm a recent graduate, and we were warned to watch out for it. Does anyone have a picture of the real stuff. Ive seen the 4 x 8 sheets of this stuff that is deteriorating at all the joints, a lot of cauling has been shoved it to hide the deteriorating , seems like it is on all electric homes built in the 70 and 80'S, thanks

Kevin Barre
11-14-2007, 07:44 PM
Well...first of all, it doesn't come in 4X8 sheets. It is a continuous exterior cladding applied in coats, much as real stucco is, but typically minus the expansion joints. And, unfortunately, also minus a proper water-shedding house wrap or drainage plane.
In my neck of the woods, anyway, the heyday was the early '90's. No one used it in the '70's. Even use (here) in the late 80's was very rare...but your area could differ as the product had been around prior to that.

All electric homes are not a factor.

Billy Stephens
11-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Does anyone have a picture of the real stuff.

Daniel,

Here you go.

Jim Luttrall
11-14-2007, 09:13 PM
There is no real middle ground on EIFS as far as I can tell, you love it (because it makes you money) or you hate it (because you understand it), or you don't really know that much about it (because you don't own it);)

Try this link
EIFSFACTS - The real facts about EIFS (http://www.hadd.com/eifs/)

EIFSFACTS.ORG
The Real Facts About EIFS
Brought to you by people who own it, not people who sell it.
This site is intended to serve as a central repository of information about the problems with EIFS

Scott Patterson
11-15-2007, 08:37 AM
Sorry to be blunt, but! I can not believe that any inspection school that is worth anything would not teach their students about EIFS, what it looks like and some very common things to lookout for.

Every single person that calls themselves a home inspector needs to be able to ID a home with EIFS. IMO, they should also be able to recognize the visible problems associated with improper installation, etc. The same/similar missing details that cause problems with EIFS can cause problems with just about any type of cladding.

You do not have to do a full blown EIFS inspection to see improper flashing, distance from grade and other objects, lack of sealants, etc.

Off soapbox!

John Carroll
11-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Daniel, if you haven't already, read the thread titled "identifying hardcoat stucco & eifs", you can find it in a search for "eifs". I believe you will find alot of info there.:cool:

Jerry Peck
11-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Well...first of all, it doesn't come in 4X8 sheets. It is a continuous exterior cladding applied in coats, much as real stucco is, but typically minus the expansion joints.

It looks like stucco but much more uniform. Usually few or no cracks and usually like an orange peel texture rather than smooth or 'lace'. It has a rubbery feel on the top coat, like elastomeric paint but thicker. It will flex in a bit when pushed. It is usually about 1/8 inch thick, you can stick a probe through it (not recommended). There will be 5 gallon buckets in the garage labeled 'dryvit' or 'pleco' for touchup.

Daniel,

The above two quotes are referring to "the finish" applied to EIFS, not to the EIFS itself.

It is installed usually over 3/4 or 1 inch styrofoam, similar to stucco. at first glance it looks like concrete stucco but after seeing a few it is obvious it is not. sometimes it looks like 4x8 sheets because some systems are made for troweling over osb or plywood without the styrofoam or any other backer. The 4x8 joints become obvious as the sheets expand and contract and moisture intrusion is a given. I have a good picture I will post later that shows a cut out section.[/quote]

This part above is getting more to what an EIFS 'is', with the finish over the board insulation.

Here is a guide to the installation of EIFS from EIMA (EIFS Industry Members Association): http://www.eima.com/pdfs/EIMA%20CGuide%20final.pdf

Note that those construction guidelines cover the original 'barrier EIFS system', not the newer 'drainable EIFS system' (there is no drainage plane in those construction guidelines).

Jim McClendon
11-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Like this.

John McCormick
11-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Like this.
Those pictures aren't of EIFS! They're of a subcontractor scam artist job gone wrong!

Picture #1 isn't properly terminated above grade! It should not reach the ground.
Picture #2 could've used from heavy duty mesh and extra base coat, and should atleast be patched.
Picture #3 has no flashing! there is no caulking (and backer rod) along the sides of the window! The applicator didn't protect the window frame during installation!
Picture #4 looks like it lacks fibreglass mesh diagonally to the corner! A control joint running up from the corner might not have been a bad idea -- it looks like the transition from a wall to a veranda (dissimilar substrates).

John McCormick
11-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Daniel,

Here you go.
Picture #2 -- Where's the moisture barrier!? Why was the insulation adhered in HORIZONTAL channels? WHYYYY!?!?!?!

How do these people remember to breath?