PDA

View Full Version : What are these??

Robert Wittenberg
11-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Hello All,

This is my first post on this board. I have been reading and learning from all of your posts and appreciate the sharing of information and experiences.

I have been running my own company for about a year and a half, doing a good business, paying the bills, etc.

I have a question about some devices recently found in a 1910 home. These ceiling mounted devices were all over the house (in both finished and unfinished spaces). They have twisted wires running to them. Are these older/different smoke detection devices?

Anybody seen these before?

Thanks.

Robert

Billy Stephens
11-15-2007, 09:44 AM
I have a question about some devices recently found in a 1910 home.

Are these older/different smoke detection devices?

Anybody seen these before?

Robert

Robert,

I have not seen these but that time frame would suggest a servants bell or bells to alert
the house hold of an in coming phone call.

House hold smoke detectors uses radioactive material and entered the market in 1969.

Rick Cantrell
11-15-2007, 12:12 PM
I may be able to help, but the pitcure does not have enough detail for me.
Do you have any other pictures?
Does it have 1 or 2 pair of wires?
Do you know where the wires went to?

Jerry Peck
11-15-2007, 05:07 PM
Billy could be right. That is a good shape to have a clapper in there which moves back and forth to ring the bell (the brass outside part) - see that other set of wires running down that stud? For the push button which operates them?

Rick Cantrell
11-15-2007, 05:19 PM
I enlarged the photo as much as I could. The dome looks to me to be translucent with an open slit down the side. With the enlargement it (the thing running down the stud) does not look like a wire.
My guess, at this time is some form of motion detector, but that is only a guess, I need better photos.

Jerry Peck
11-15-2007, 05:45 PM
I need better photos.

Agreed. That would help.

I enlarged them too and still think its brass in two halves and that is a wire going down the stud. (That's my story and I'm a stickin' to it.)

Billy Stephens
11-15-2007, 06:42 PM
Robert,

If you would complete you User CP we would know what part of the country you are in.

Edwin Holmes installed the first electric burglar alarm in Boston 1858.

Rick Cantrell
11-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Sorry Jerry
I might regret this (disagreeing with you), but that is not a wire it's a cobweb, and I can see through the dome, to what's inside.

Billy Stephens
11-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Sorry Jerry
I might regret this (disagreeing with you), but that is not a wire it's a cobweb, and I can see through the dome, to what's inside.
Rick,

Cobwebs Yes they are. See thru NO Way! Look at the indent in the middle strip that holds
the two pieces together.

Robert Wittenberg
11-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I updated my profile to indicate I work in the Seattle Area.

I did not want to upload a large file image, but it is a cob web to the lower right of the unit. It is closed together with no visible open space between the two pieces.

The units do not appear to be original to the house and they are located throughout the home, even in the unconditioned crawl space/basement. I could not track the two sets of wires through the walls. I think motion detectors or servant bells are unlikely. The heat detector concept looks to be really likely.

Thanks for all your help.

Robert

Rick Cantrell
11-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Fritz
Good job finding that information.
What are you, some sort of Internet sleuth?:)

What I thought I could see through a translucent dome was more likely a reflection off of the brass dome.

Michael Thomas
11-16-2007, 01:51 PM
OK. Now that we've got that nailed, what's this? From today's 1950s ranch, above the kitchen counter, about 12"Wx10"H, appears to be a solid sheet-steel stamping - I though that might be a door in in center, but if so it's tightly painted shut.

Billy Stephens
11-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Its a letter slot for junk mail.

Fritz,

It's a Custom Back Splash made from a 1952 access door from a Frigidaire 14 cubic ft. refrigerator. :D

I opened the patent link and got the side bar but no pictures. :confused:

BARRY ADAIR
11-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Billy, I wonder if you don't have 'active X' installed (whatever the hell that is).

You inspired me to search. ;)

ActiveX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActiveX)

Jerry Peck
11-16-2007, 06:17 PM
I enlarged them too and still think its brass in two halves and that is a wire going down the stud. (That's my story and I'm a stickin' to it.)

Okay ... so I was only half right ... :p

Billy Stephens
11-16-2007, 07:58 PM
This One's for you Fritz, :)