PDA

View Full Version : 12" Metal Supply @ Top of Water Heater

Bruce Ramsey
04-21-2015, 02:32 PM
I know this topic has been batted around a few times but I cant seem to find it...

Some say the supply pipes to a water heater must be metal for the first 12 inches at the top of the water heater and then can transition to other approved supply materials. Makes sense with a gas water heater due to the heat of the exhaust. Cant find a code reference specifying this. Can anyone point in the right direction?

Jerry Peck
04-21-2015, 02:50 PM
I know this topic has been batted around a few times but I cant seem to find it...

Some say the supply pipes to a water heater must be metal for the first 12 inches at the top of the water heater and then can transition to other approved supply materials. Makes sense with a gas water heater due to the heat of the exhaust. Cant find a code reference specifying this. Can anyone point in the right direction?

See reply on other thread (which is basically duplicating this one, or is this one basically duplicating that one?). :)

Dave Hahn
04-23-2015, 10:14 PM
Bruce...

The code reference is that the code requires you to follow manufacturer specifications.
But it's not a water heater 'thang.'

It's the plastic pipe manufacturers that require their products not be within a minimum 6 - 18 inches (varies by manufacturer) of a heat source (e.g., water heater vent). So OK for electric.

Dave