PDA

View Full Version : Weep holes over lintels

Scott Lynch
11-15-2007, 12:23 PM

imported_John Smith
11-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Scott, the Brick Industry Association shows details about weeps and lintels.
See link below:
http://www.bia.org/bia/technotes/TN7.pdf

Bruce Lunsford
11-16-2007, 04:20 PM
The short answer is - yes. Flashing and weeps are required over lintels, although it is VERY often not enforced.

As to the arch, I would not make an issue out of that. It is directly under a soffit so where is the water going to come from? Further, I'm not sure weeps would even function there at all anyway. IMHO it is a non issue.

Brian Hoagland
12-02-2007, 08:22 PM
The short answer is - yes. Flashing and weeps are required over lintels, although it is VERY often not enforced.

As to the arch, I would not make an issue out of that. It is directly under a soffit so where is the water going to come from? Further, I'm not sure weeps would even function there at all anyway. IMHO it is a non issue. Choose your battles, don't choose this as one. Technially the answer is yes/practiaclly the answer is NO! No sense in making enemy of the trades when it has no significant effect on the structure or inhabitants.

Dave Hahn
12-03-2007, 06:51 PM
So WE should 'choose' what our client's get to know ???

If you know something is a defect, report it....inform them. But also inform them of the implications so they can be advised as to the significance and decide what THEY want to do (consult with a mason?).

I tell clients when weep holes are absence and, in so many words, I also tell them of the complications of trying to do something about it after the fact (do we know if the drainage plane is actually there, will the guy with the drill puncture the drainage plane if it is there, etc.).