PDA

View Full Version : Gaps in bottom of inner garage wall/sheetrock - unit seperation

Randall Clark
04-29-2015, 06:09 PM
New construction and the wall between the garage and house has sheetrock installed, but there are ~1/8" gaps between the bottom of the sheetrock and the wall plate. I can see the wall studs and into the wall cavity. To me, this does not meet requirements.

However, I see this from time-to-time in new construction and have been calling it out, but the AHJs give the CO anyway. So, I wanted to get opinions from others as a reality check to see if I'm too picky :)

Raymond Wand
04-30-2015, 08:19 AM
Can't be fire proof and gas proof with gaps regardless of size.

Jerry Peck
04-30-2015, 12:01 PM
Can't be fire proof and gas proof with gaps regardless of size.

Doesn't have to be "fire proof and gas proof" that I know of.

However, the energy code may well require the bottom plate to be sealed to the slab.

Additionally, the minimum separation required is 1/2" gypsum board ... which is missing wherever you see the wood.

Raymond Wand
04-30-2015, 12:31 PM
Separation is between house and garage. Up here at least there can be no gaps where CO or flame could spread into adjoining wall (habitable space). If I see any gaps in the common wall or open dry wall seams, holes for spigots, electrical it gets written up.

Jerry Peck
04-30-2015, 01:29 PM
Separation is between house and garage. Up here at least there can be no gaps where CO or flame could spread into adjoining wall (habitable space). If I see any gaps in the common wall or open dry wall seams, holes for spigots, electrical it gets written up.

"it gets written up"

As it should be. Can't have minimum 1/2" gypsum board separation when there are cracks, openings, and spaces through the 1/2" gypsum, right?

I was just pointing out the terminology of "fire proof and gas proof" ...

Raymond Wand
05-01-2015, 03:03 AM
Thanks Jerry.