PDA

View Full Version : The Day of the Bad Traps

Welmoed Sisson
05-02-2015, 06:27 AM
Yesterday's inspections were both interesting, plumbing-wise. I will henceforth call it the Day of the Bad Traps. Two of these were in the same house.

Jeff Zehnder
05-02-2015, 03:13 PM
Yesterday's inspections were both interesting, plumbing-wise. I will henceforth call it the Day of the Bad Traps. Two of these were in the same house.

They all look bad but the Flex pipe always gets me no matter when and where i find it...
I always question why the home centers sell it...

Garry Sorrells
05-03-2015, 05:44 AM
"To trap or not to trap. That is the question." - "Then to suffer the sling and arrows of outrageous rejection."

"If you can't be with the trap you love love the trap you have." :whoo:

Jack Feldmann
05-04-2015, 04:43 AM
I'm amazed at how many S-traps I see in new home construction in the rural areas.

Lon Henderson
05-04-2015, 05:41 AM
They all look bad but the Flex pipe always gets me no matter when and where i find it...
I always question why the home centers sell it...
I'll bite........why do you dislike flex?

Jerry Peck
05-04-2015, 06:28 AM
I'll bite........why do you dislike flex?

I'll bite ... that implies that you find flexible drain tailpieces and pipes 'likable'?

Lon Henderson
05-04-2015, 07:06 AM
I'll bite ... that implies that you find flexible drain tailpieces and pipes 'likable'?
Ok, I'll take the bait.

"Like" would be far too strong a term for how I feel about flex tail pieces. I don't think there is some default that flex tail pieces are always bad. I have seen them misused as I judge misuse, but when used in gentle turns, I've never seen one being any more problem that rigid pipe in similar use. I've seen them used to create a P-trap which I judge to be a misuse. I've seen multiple flex pieces joined to make an extended connection which I've judged to be improper and likely to cause drainage problems.

Jerry Peck
05-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Flexible tailpieces are not approved by the code, therefore there is a default 'not allowed' status for them.

Lon Henderson
05-05-2015, 05:34 AM
Flexible tailpieces are not approved by the code, therefore there is a default 'not allowed' status for them.

Yes......and in the end that settles it.

JeffGHooper
05-05-2015, 05:51 PM
I've judged to be improper and likely to cause drainage problems.

Not self scouring. Therefore prohibited.

Jerry Peck
05-05-2015, 06:42 PM
Not self scouring. Therefore prohibited.

Also has ridges and crevices. Therefore prohibited ... unless may by Lay's, then ridges make Ruffles! :)