PDA

View Full Version : Joist blocking

Bob Fuhrmann
05-04-2015, 01:48 PM
Can anyone tell me why the builder installs blocking between engineered joists at the outside edge of the house? Joists are between the first floor and the basement. The reason I ask is that one of the joists was installed not parallel to the next one and the blocking is not connected at one end. I expect that the blocking is pre cut and the building crew didn't care.

Randy Mayo
05-04-2015, 02:39 PM
Bob,

Blocking helps distribute load to adjacent joists. Was there some type of unusual load above, big hydro-tub, etc.?

Raymond Wand
05-04-2015, 03:32 PM
The backer block is absent where the I-joist is perpendicular to the other. The back block is required on both sides so that a metal hanger can be installed. Framers have not completed what the manufacturer requires in their framing detail material.

Bob Fuhrmann
05-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Bob,

Blocking helps distribute load to adjacent joists. Was there some type of unusual load above, big hydro-tub, etc.?

None that I am aware of Randy. The blocking is the entire length of the basement on both sides of the home. Blocking was between the outside wall and the first joist and between the first and second joist. You did not comment on the issue of the blocking not contacting the joist on four blocks near the end of one joist.
Bob

Raymond Wand
05-04-2015, 04:27 PM
See also page 5
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.woodbywy.com%2Fdocument%2Ftj-9001%2F&ei=5_9HVa-rLsvOsAWg6YHACw&usg=AFQjCNG7aqj44FD1unPxBaXqAkXZUq_Fvw&sig2=Jad3FXcIO8J1o6EGTIQRBQ&bvm=bv.92291466,d.b2w

Darren Miller
05-05-2015, 02:34 AM
If the foundation is the Superior wall system, then blocking along the wall that's parallel with the joists is a requirement to prevent the top of the wall from being pushed in.

Lon Henderson
05-05-2015, 05:55 AM
Can anyone tell me why the builder installs blocking between engineered joists at the outside edge of the house? Joists are between the first floor and the basement. The reason I ask is that one of the joists was installed not parallel to the next one and the blocking is not connected at one end. I expect that the blocking is pre cut and the building crew didn't care.

A few months ago, at a new build, the job super just shrugged when I asked him about this blocking and said that the AHJ now required it. After reading the Installation Guide from Raymond, there is a WHOLE lot more to how it's done than just toe nailing in the braces.

Vern Heiler
05-05-2015, 03:15 PM
If the foundation is the Superior wall system, then blocking along the wall that's parallel with the joists is a requirement to prevent the top of the wall from being pushed in.

liked

Sam Smith
05-06-2015, 06:57 AM
A few months ago, at a new build, the job super just shrugged when I asked him about this blocking and said that the AHJ now required it.

Our AHJs reference Section R404.1, 2012 IRC. FOUNDATION WALL BRACING regarding the need for bracing perpendicular to the joists on the exterior walls. If "I Joists" are used then the builder is required to install blocking (permanufacturer’s instructions) against thewebs of the “I” joists for properattachment of the foundation wallbracing blocks. Around here, omitting the bracing and/or not detailing them it correctly was a pretty common reason to fail framing inspections when the requirement first appeared.

-Sam

- - - Updated - - -

A few months ago, at a new build, the job super just shrugged when I asked him about this blocking and said that the AHJ now required it.

Our AHJs reference Section R404.1, 2012 IRC. FOUNDATION WALL BRACING regarding the need for bracing perpendicular to the joists on the exterior walls. If "I Joists" are used then the builder is required to install blocking (permanufacturer’s instructions) against thewebs of the “I” joists for properattachment of the foundation wallbracing blocks. Around here, omitting the bracing and/or not detailing them it correctly was a pretty common reason to fail framing inspections when the requirement first appeared.

-Sam

Ray Thornburg
05-07-2015, 05:06 AM

Blocking between the first two joist spaces is required to meet local wind zone requirements. Spacing varies according to the wind zone. They should be attached at the ends and nailed through the plywood at the top.

Bob Fuhrmann
05-09-2015, 09:08 AM
liked

Basement walls are not "Superior Wall System". They are standard poured concrete.

- - - Updated - - -

Foundation is not the Superior wall system.