PDA

View Full Version : Water Heater Vent

Jeff Eastman
11-15-2007, 05:17 PM

Eric Barker
11-15-2007, 07:24 PM
What I would concentrate on is that the bottom vent section slips OVER the section above it - it should be inserted INSIDE the section above it.

Russel Ray
11-15-2007, 11:47 PM
I'm not seeing what you're seeing, Eric.

Eric Barker
11-16-2007, 06:41 AM
Does this help?

Stuart Brooks
11-16-2007, 07:29 AM
Looks like an "unusual" installation to me. From what I can see in the picture, I would most likely recommend that a qualified-licensed-professional plumber correct it as soon as possible.

Thats polite speak for, "it looks like a total whacked-up, jack-leg, amateur installation that could cause your family to not wake-up one morning".

That is, in my most humble opinion, which I admit in advance will conflict with someone else's.;)
Stu

Michael Greenwalt
11-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Could be my eyes but that single wall vent appears to be closer than 6 inches to the wall before it terminates into the B-vent.

Russel Ray
11-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Hey, Eric.

What your arrows are point to looks like the demarcation where the flue diameter decreases just slightly so that it will fit into the piece above it. What I've marked looks to me like the one above it is definitely over the one below it, as indicated by where the screws are and the bend in the metal.

This is a very good reason why I rarely comment on pictures. The flat dimension, angle, lighting, etc., can lead to false conclusions.

Eric Barker
11-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Ray,

Pardon my analness (it drives my wife crazy). The flue is the space inside the liner. What we're talking about is the vent connector (or chimney connector as the case may be). BTW - I'm still trying to get away from saying outlet and instead say receptacle.

Anyway, I'm quite sure that the picture is clear enough to say that the connection at my arrow is wrong - the bottom vent is slipped over the vent section that's between our two arrows.

I attached a picture which relates. The stains show where combustions gas has been escaping from the improper connection.

Does this help??

Russel Ray
11-16-2007, 09:30 AM
If that little two-inch section is, indeed, a section, then, yes, it is wrong. It just doesn't look that way to me in the picture. To me it looks like part of the section below our arrows.

Billy Stephens
11-16-2007, 04:11 PM
If that little two-inch section is, indeed, a section, then, yes, it is wrong.

Russel,

Looking at the rolled joint in the inserted piece and the screw at the right top of the piece below it. It's on the inside of connecting vents. :)

Jerry Peck
11-16-2007, 06:59 PM
Russel,

Looking at the rolled joint ... :)

At first I thought you were going to say something quite different than what you talked about. :D

Billy Stephens
11-16-2007, 07:17 PM
At first I thought you were going to say something quite different than what you talked about. :D

What? Me?