PDA

View Full Version : Pool Lights

Matthew Barnicle
11-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Are pool lights required to be GFCI protected if they are low voltage? I see two types of pool panels which are typically manufactured by intermatic. The first have a transformer for the pool light, but no GFCI reset. The second have a GFCI or "low voltage circuit protector" as they call them on the panel label.

Rick Hurst
11-16-2007, 04:33 PM
All pool lights should be GFCI protected.

Jerry Peck
11-16-2007, 07:14 PM
All pool lights should be GFCI protected.

Except (drum roll :) ) optical fiber ones where the lights are not actually even in the pool, or anywhere close to the pool.

Jerry Peck
11-16-2007, 07:17 PM
The second have a GFCI or "low voltage circuit protector" as they call them on the panel label.

Then I would not call them "GFCI" protected. "Low voltage circuit protector" has nothing to do with GFCI protection as I take the term, to me, that indicates it is there to protect the equipment and its low voltage circuit.

If it was "GFCI" protection, it would state "GFCI" or "Ground-fault Circuit Interrupter" on it.

Richard Rushing
11-16-2007, 11:51 PM
As Rick stated... it needs to be GFCI protected.

rr

Greg Bertaux, P.E.
02-06-2008, 03:33 PM
From an article I published recently, GFCIs are required in the following locations:

- All bathroom receptacles
- All kitchen and counter receptacles
- Garage and unfinished basement receptacles
EXCEPT ones that are not readily accessible or that
serve an appliance not readily moved.
- All exterior receptacles
- All crawlspace receptacles
- All boathouse receptacles
- Receptacles within six feet of a laundry or wet bar sink
- Whirlpool tub motors
- Spas and fountains
- 120 volt swimming pool lights

However, I agree that GFCIs for 12V lighting around pools ought to be recommended.

Jerry Peck
02-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Greg,

Here is a list I've been publishing since, well, a long time, and update to each new NEC edition.

Jerry Peck
02-07-2008, 04:08 PM
While I am at at it:

William Brady
02-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Jerry thank you for tha page I will keep it on my clipboard.