PDA

View Full Version : Venting Issues

Michael Thomas
11-18-2007, 09:47 AM
50,000 BTU GFAF and 40,000 BTU gas WH venting into 8" single wall pipe system passing through attic and meal chimney chase? What concerns (other than the birds nest, the rain cap and the single wall pipe passing through the attic) do others here see with this?

John Arnold
11-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Maybe it's the photo angle, but in the first one it looks like the wh flue pipe runs downhill.

Bruce Breedlove
11-18-2007, 11:18 AM
I agree. Hard to tell from the photo angle but the WH flu does not appear to have proper slope.

Billy Stephens
11-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Maybe it's the photo angle, but in the first one it looks like the wh flue pipe runs downhill.

Or Flat, Rust on Flue Pipe, Evidence of moisture (several places) in the attic.

Bob Harper
11-18-2007, 11:57 AM
No listed vent system to pass through unconditioned space
improper support
common vent oversized
vent not protected from damage in accessible portion of attic
severely restricted vent termination with unlisted hardware cloth doubled
oversized vent connector on WH (I'm guessing this WH has a 3" draft hood)
I doubt there is an attic insulation shield and we know there is no listed firestop because there is no listed venting.

The entire installation should be replaced with a properly sized and installed listed B-vent.
HTH
Bob

Michael Thomas
11-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks,

Looks like I got it all - reading and study here and elsewhere must be doing some good!

There was an "insulation shield', and it was even pretty clean on the attic side (no pic), but here's the bottom.

As for the WH, it's going as Spackle does not not appear to be a permanent repair for leaking water heaters.

Jerry Peck
11-18-2007, 01:50 PM
Is there a 30" wide path to and in front of that panel shown between the two units, with at 30" x 36" working space in front of that panel? (Okay, the walkway may be 24" wide, but the working space is 30" x 36".)