PDA

View Full Version : National Roofing Inspectors Who Never Climb Roofs

Frank Adame
06-23-2015, 02:07 PM
My insurance agent notified me recently my roof didn't qualify for a better insurance rate because according to a third party inspector from the "National Insurance Inspection Services" my roof had evidence of cupping, curling and lifting and that it only had 5 years of life left. I told my agent my 25-year grade roof was only 3 1/2 years old and in excellent condition. He said the inspectors word was final.

I recently received a copy of the inspector's check list report that looked like he bought it from a dollar store. Photos were included to "prove" his findings. The photos were taken from the ground during a time of day where shadows were strong. I just found out that they don't climb roofs because of liability issues.

I just got off the phone with one of the NIIS reps. He kept saying that he could "see" lifting on several shingles. I kept telling him the photos are not close ups. I challenged him to call a local TREC or Haag inspector to re-inspect my roof. I would pay their fees if they found one problem with my roof. If not, he would pay. Of course that was a waist of time.

Making definitive comments and conclusions on the condition of a roof without climbing a roof is so ridiculous. I don't see how this company can legally be in business.

Jim Luttrall
06-23-2015, 02:35 PM
My insurance agent notified me recently my roof didn't qualify for a better insurance rate because according to a third party inspector from the "National Insurance Inspection Services" my roof had evidence of cupping, curling and lifting and that it only had 5 years of life left. I told my agent my 25-year grade roof was only 3 1/2 years old and in excellent condition. He said the inspectors word was final.

I recently received a copy of the inspector's check list report that looked like he bought it from a dollar store. Photos were included to "prove" his findings. The photos were taken from the ground during a time of day where shadows were strong. I just found out that they don't climb roofs because of liability issues.

I just got off the phone with one of the NIIS reps. He kept saying that he could "see" lifting on several shingles. I kept telling him the photos are not close ups. I challenged him to call a local TREC or Haag inspector to re-inspect my roof. I would pay their fees if they found one problem with my roof. If not, he would pay. Of course that was a waist of time.

Making definitive comments and conclusions on the condition of a roof without climbing a roof is so ridiculous. I don't see how this company can legally be in business.
Frank, contact a VIP inspector.
I used to do these but quit due to the low payment mandates in the law.
Check your roof first for these issues that would prevent coverage:
(B) Roof.
(i) No roof coverings that are curling, cracking or have missing shingles;
(ii) No roof coverings that show signs of significant deterioration; and
(iii) No roofs that have been improperly installed or repaired.

http://www.tdi.texas.gov/commercial/invipplan.html
is the website for the full details.

You will want to check with your insurance carrier to see if they will accept this state mandated inspection.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to add that you will have to pay the inspection fee.
And I also found this which seems to say they would have to reinspect with their own inspector to override the certificate of insurability that the VIP inspector would provide.
(3) If a Certificate of Insurability (Form VIP-1) is provided to an insurer as part of an application for residential property insurance, the insurer may not use property condition as grounds for refusing to issue or renew a residential property insurance policy unless the insurer reinspects the property and specifies in its declination letter the conditions of deficiency causing the residential property risk to be uninsurable.