PDA

View Full Version : Window Lintel Sagging

Clay White
11-18-2007, 04:18 PM

Rick Hurst
11-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Clay,

When I personally see things as such I just go ahead and recommend that a building contractor be contacted to bid repairs.

We already know that its sagging or failed, so why bother the expense of calling out a SE just to tell you yes it needs to be repaired.

JMHO

rick

Brandon Chew
11-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Veneer is an exterior cladding and not a structural component. I wouldn't call for an engineer unless I suspected the cracking was due to structural movement. If there were no signs of movement I would call for a qualified mason to make the necessary repairs.

JB Thompson
11-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Clay,

When I personally see things as such I just go ahead and recommend that a building contractor be contacted to bid repairs.

We already know that its sagging or failed, so why bother the expense of calling out a SE just to tell you yes it needs to be repaired.

JMHO

rick

I agree. I've had two houses this year with enough sagging over the garages that I recommended immediate repairs and both times it was taken care of by the seller (albeit grudgingly). Even the agent was glad that I called it out and later told me the mason had told her "it was an accident waiting to kill someone".

Bruce