PDA

View Full Version : What is this on the roof?

Mike Pearson
11-18-2007, 08:43 PM
I have performed over 2000 inspections and have never seen this before. Mansard roof, no attic access, no soffit vents and this bubble on the roof with a rubber tube hooked to it going to the gutter? There was 3 units to the building and every one had one. Another tube was connected to what I thought was an electrical connection when I first got on the roof untill I got a closer look. The units were in Palm Beach but not on the ocean or intracoastal waterway. The tubes looked worn and the building was constructed in 1988. Has anyone, any ideas? PS. There were no water stains on the interior ceiling areas from humidity issues.

Mike Pearson
South FL

Nick Ostrowski
11-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Mike, the only thing I can think of that might even be remotely close to what appears in your pics is dome skylight bubbles. I see them every once and a while up her in PA. Judging by the condensation that appears beneath the domes in your pics, I assume the rubber tubes are part of some type of condensate collection system for the moisture that builds up inside the domes.

I don't know if I'm even in the ballpark but I thought I'd take a stab.

Mike Pearson
11-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Oh yea, I forgot to tell you. No skylights in the ceiling.

Mike Pearson
S. FLA

Dom D'Agostino
11-18-2007, 10:05 PM
I'd guess they are abandoned roof drains, overflow drains, or similar penetrations, which someone covered to prevent leaks. Tube is to allow moisture/condensation to escape?

Dom.

Jerry Peck
11-18-2007, 10:25 PM
I'd guess they are abandoned roof drains, overflow drains, or similar penetrations, which someone covered to prevent leaks. Tube is to allow moisture/condensation to escape?

Dom.

At first I thought like Nick, doomed skylights, then you said no skylights lights, so then I started thinking about ...

... and came up with just what Dom said ... that's exactly what I was thinking after reading 'no skylights'.

Roof drains leak so they were abandoned (but I'm not sure they are in the right places for roof drains, based on the photo). The tub is to drain out the condensation which forms inside them.

Mike Pearson
11-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Hey Jerry,

They are in the wrong place for roof drains. They are almost to the edge of the roof. ALSO what is that same type of line that is connected to that rectangle box and also running to the gutter? Maybe it is a sort of dehumidifer? Remember, No soffit vents and it did not look like there ever was.

Mike Pearson
S FLA

Dave Belisle
11-19-2007, 04:49 AM
Just a shot in the dark ...... But it looks like they are trying to get moisture out of the roof system ... The sun would heat the dome up and draw moisture up onto the inside of the dome where it would form water droplets and run down into a channel around the outside and out into the drain.....

It looks like a mini salt desalinazation pant....

Dave in NH

BARRY ADAIR
11-19-2007, 05:20 AM
I'll go with

Miguel, what happened to Pedro?

I don't know but there's his hard hat. ;)

Jerry Peck
11-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Remember, No soffit vents and it did not look like there ever was.

Mike,

With soffit vents, they are for air circulation venting.

Those look more like they are for venting moisture out of the roof system itself (although I have never seen anything like those before either).

They must be some after-market product or the product of some roofer or repair person who said 'I know how I can solve this problem'. It is obvious that those plastic domes are not designed for that heat as they are warping and deforming.

Mike Pearson
11-19-2007, 06:01 PM
I like the Pedro comment. That was unexpected,funny and an instant classic! Jerry, you mean I have found something that even you have not seen. I have reached my goal of when I met you 8 years ago! I can now retire from home inspections.:) ;) . Seriously though, under the soffit there were no vents. The only unvented attic allowed is with Icynene insulation. BUT there was no attic hatch, so I could not say it was wrong and just because I havent seen it before. I was looking for staining at the interior ceiling and did not see a spot. The UFO's on the roof looked really old so I figured it wasn't someones new creation. No symtoms after 20 years. Hmmm maybe that guy should have marketed better:o . Again, the hose connected to the rectangle is another question.

Mike Pearson
S. FLA