PDA

View Full Version : Federal Pacific equipment in multi unit building

David Miller
07-09-2015, 09:17 AM
I discovered some rather large Federal Pacific electrical equipment in a dormitory style building built in the late 60s.
There are four panels within the same building similar to the one in the first photo serviced by the huge panel in the next photo. The panels do not appear to have a main over-current protection device. Have any of you came across something like this before? Thoughts?

Jerry Peck
07-09-2015, 11:17 AM
Based on your description, the second photo shows what is likely the service equipment (but nothing was labeled or I could not read the labels from the photo ... at least not on my phone).

Jim Luttrall
07-09-2015, 03:19 PM
I discovered some rather large Federal Pacific electrical equipment in a dormitory style building built in the late 60s.
There are four panels within the same building similar to the one in the first photo serviced by the huge panel in the next photo. The panels do not appear to have a main over-current protection device. Have any of you came across something like this before? Thoughts?
Typically there will be fuses inside the panels at the main switches. Trouble is those are likely designed to be turned off before accessing the fuses so you won't know unless you kill power to the whole shebang.

David Miller
07-09-2015, 07:52 PM
Typically there will be fuses inside the panels at the main switches. Trouble is those are likely designed to be turned off before accessing the fuses so you won't know unless you kill power to the whole shebang.
Thanks. Are the covers on the main switches designed to be opened only when the switch is in the off position? I was unable to remove the covers.

Jim Luttrall
07-09-2015, 08:02 PM
Thanks. Are the covers on the main switches designed to be opened only when the switch is in the off position? I was unable to remove the covers.
As I said: "Trouble is those are likely designed to be turned off before accessing..."
Those look familiar and if I am correct, the switch has to be in the "off" position and the latch on the right released before the panel cover hinges open toward the hinge on the left.

John Kogel
07-09-2015, 08:49 PM
Yes those big switches are the service disconnects. They are not Stab-lok breakers, so just because they came from a Federal Pacific factory does not make them faulty. They have no known history of failure.

You can say the old Stab-Lok breaker panels should be replaced.

A Home Inspector should not normally mess with equipment that size. 400 amps or more, the risk of an arc flash is that much greater. If there is melted insulation or scorching, it is a job for an electrician.

Lon Henderson
07-10-2015, 05:31 AM
They are not Stab-lok breakers, so just because they came from a Federal Pacific factory does not make them faulty. They have no known history of failure.

You can say the old Stab-Lok breaker panels should be replaced.

FPE breakers not labelled as "Stab-lok" have similar design and presumably similar failure rate as the Stab-lok labeled breakers and the panels should be replaced.

John Kogel
07-10-2015, 05:49 AM
FPE breakers not labelled as "Stab-lok" have similar design and presumably similar failure rate as the Stab-lok labeled breakers and the panels should be replaced.Thanks Lon, by 'they', I was meaning the big commercial disconnects are not a concern, just the breakers.

I was in Washington state recently and passed by some huge Federal Pacific transformers that are probably 40 years old, doing good service.

Rollie Meyers
07-14-2015, 11:25 PM
The only Federal Pacific product line that has issues is the Stab-Lok load centers & circuit breakers, other products like the fusible panelboard shown are fine, just old.

David Miller
07-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Thanks everybody for your responses. Much appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everybody for your responses. Much appreciated.