PDA

View Full Version : Service wire installation concerns

Richard Roshak
09-02-2015, 12:57 PM
I have been told in the past that the electrical service wire cannot be installed under siding or trim, however this installation had the blessing of the local electrical official.
Is it right or wrong?

Steve Payson
09-02-2015, 03:03 PM
That is not correct, especially where the entrance cable enters the return and they wrapped aluminum around it. The sharp edges of the aluminum will cut into the cables protective sheathing.

Jim Port
09-02-2015, 03:27 PM
The length of unfused cable inside the house is to be as short as practical. Under the siding is considered inside the building in my experience. It has nothing to do with any sharp edges. Sharp edges would be a concern wherever the cable was concerned even if fused.

- - - Updated - - -

The length of unfused cable inside the house is to be as short as practical. Under the siding is considered inside the building in my experience. It has nothing to do with any sharp edges. Sharp edges would be a concern wherever the cable was concerned even if fused.

Mark Reinmiller
09-02-2015, 05:49 PM
It is wrong, but are you sure the siding and trim were not installed after the cable?

Also, do not let the fact that a code official may have passed something cloud your judgment.

Jerry Peck
09-02-2015, 05:54 PM

It is wrong, but are you sure the siding and trim were not installed after the cable?

Also, do not let the fact that a code official may have passed something cloud your judgment.

Mark and Jim are both correct - the conductors are considered inside the building (are not considered outside the building would be the correct code statement) once the conductors penetrate or are behind any part of the building surface, and it does not matter which was done first ... and just because something was "signed off" does not mean it is correct, or that because someone said it was "signed off" actually means that it was inspected or "signed off" in the condition you now find it.

David Dolch
09-09-2015, 06:37 AM
I have been told in the past that the electrical service wire cannot be installed under siding or trim, however this installation had the blessing of the local electrical official.
Is it right or wrong?

On a related topic. When I had a telephone I & M crew, we saw quite a few cases where the siding contractors put our service drop under the siding like that. Then when an oversized truck snagged the drop, or a tree branch came down on the drop during a storm, it opened the siding like a zipper.

Dave

david shapiro
09-16-2015, 09:03 PM
Not to deny what's been said so far, here's an ancillary matter. At the 9/15/2015 meeting of the George Washington Chapter, IAEI, John Cangemi, a UL field rep, Code Making Panel member and and NYC electrical board member noted that when the HO finds SEC unsightly, one acceptable option is to cover it on three sides with vinyl gutter material.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to deny what's been said so far, here's an ancillary matter. At the 9/15/2015 meeting of the George Washington Chapter, IAEI, John Cangemi, a UL field rep, Code Making Panel member and and NYC electrical board member noted that when the HO finds SEC unsightly, one acceptable option is to cover it on three sides with vinyl gutter material. This also shields the sheath from deterioration by sunlight without putting it at possible risk as paint could. (No paints have been investigated for compatibility, so far as he knows.)