PDA

View Full Version : Venting questions

Rick Maday
11-20-2007, 04:57 PM
The single wall vent pipe from the WH to furnace was about 5.5 ft off floor and may present a burn danger. It is right next to the washer/dryer and I nearly bumped my head on it (164 degrees from my IR therm) I could see someone easily touching it and getting a severe burn - is there a specifc code reference for that?

Also I am not thrilled with the Tee (backdraft to WH), but I cannot find anything to not alllow it.

And finally, plastic duct for return air?

Comments?

Billy Stephens
11-20-2007, 05:10 PM
And finally, plastic duct for return air?

Comments?

Rick,

I sure hope JP don't see that.

Rick Maday
11-20-2007, 07:14 PM
I don't install it, I just report it!

My main question is abouty the hot vent pipe being in an area where someone can - almost did (me) - and probably will get burned. It's going in as a safety issue, but I was looking for some specific reference if available.

Billy Stephens
11-20-2007, 07:47 PM
My main question is abouty the hot vent pipe being in an area where someone can - almost did (me) - and probably will get burned. It's going in as a safety issue, but I was looking for some specific reference if available.

Rick,

If you feel it's a safety issue you do not need any specific reference.Common sense will do.

Picture1: Does not appear proper up slope of 1/4 inch per foot.

If this single wall vent goes through the attic it is prohibited.

Picture 2: Plastic Duct is not Rated as Supply Air Duct.

Jerry Peck
11-20-2007, 08:10 PM
Picture 2: Plastic Duct is not Rated as Supply Air Duct.

That stuff is not really rated for any use, but they can make it and sell it, in fact you are even allowed to buy it ... just not allowed to use it for any known use I can think of.

Michael Thomas
11-21-2007, 07:13 AM
Just to be obnoxious, I would point out that some humidifier manufacturers specify the use of flexible duct, and this one's instructions clearly illustrate a plastic, not metal type.

► Desert Spring Furnace Humidifier (http://www.just-humidifiers.com/install-guide-1.php)

Rick Maday
11-21-2007, 07:56 AM
bold is mine

..., and this one's instructions clearly illustrate a plastic, not metal type.

► Desert Spring Furnace Humidifier (http://www.just-humidifiers.com/install-guide-1.php)

I don't see that they clearly illustrate plastic, and they certainly don't specify plastic in the instructions.

Billy Stephens
11-21-2007, 08:17 AM
humidifier manufacturers specify the use of flexible duct, and this one's instructions clearly illustrate a plastic,

Michael,

The flex duct is included in the kit and not the $1.99 Plastic kind.

Michael Thomas
11-21-2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks for hunting that down. Can't tell exactly what that material is but you are correct - it does not appear to by the cheesy white plastic duct.

Jerry Peck
11-21-2007, 04:10 PM
In Michael's defense :D that flexible duct was likely drawn on a "white" page, so the flexible duct "looked" "white". :)

The flexible duct in Billy's post looked to be that "UL Listed" mylar foil type. Still do not know "to what" it is "UL Listed" to, but, something to consider is that most of those slinkies are made for 'positive' pressure and when being used for 'return' it would be under negative pressure, which might delaminate the flexible material and pull it off its slinky coil.

Billy Stephens
11-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Vent Picture came from Rick M's link posted above page 10 Parts List (Tech Support)