PDA

View Full Version : Lightning rods on condenser units

william siegel
11-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Didnt quite know where to post this one. The lightning rods are attached to the top of the condenser units. What effect, if any, will they have on the units.

Rick Cantrell
11-20-2007, 05:27 PM
When they get hit by lightning, they blow up.:D

Billy Stephens
11-20-2007, 05:32 PM
When they get hit by lightning, they blow up.:D

Or catch on fire, or melt, Could even Void the Warranty.:)

Rod Butler
12-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Or catch on fire, or melt, Could even Void the Warranty.:)

:D That's good!

I know on larger commercial projects where the A/E team includes an EE, lightning protection on all roof mounted equipment and structure is typical. I think it is actually designed to PROTECT the roof mounted equipment. Note the large conductor from the rod to (presumably) the earth.

I hate sparks from the sky! :eek:

Scott Patterson
12-09-2009, 08:25 AM
The lighting rod is really not for the protection of the HVAC unit, it is for the building. Rick pretty much described what is going to happen, but the current from the lighting strike will hopefully be taken to the the ground and the building will not catch fire, from the strike. It will catch fire from the HVAC unit! :D

Unless you are very familiar with lighting arrestor systems, you need to tell your client that they need to have a lighting arrestor contractor inspect the system. They are pretty involved and are not just a bunch of braided cables with spikes on the ends.