View Full Version : Inspection clearing document

Patrick Martinez
04-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Hi all,

I hope everyone had a great Easter weekend and start to a productive spring and summer.

I am writing to ask if any one uses a form submitted to their client after the inspection is completed, designating the remainder of the home was noted as free from WDO / WDI's?

I have a client that is asking for this documentation in order to satisfy the requirement to the VA loan program.

My reports state the defects / conditions, not if the remainder of the home as it has been found free from WDO's / WDI's.

If any one has a template they are using and doesn't mind sharing it, I would certainly like to get a copy of one.

Thank you all,

Pat Martinez
EBI Signature Inspections, LLC
Vancouver, Washington

Tim Moreira
04-11-2007, 10:39 AM

Unless your licensed/certified to do WDO/termite inspections I would tell your client to hire a person who is licensed/certified to do that. Have them inspect the home for WDO and then they can submit whatever letter is needed.

I personally would never, as an HI, submit any letter to anyone that a home was free from WDO. How do you know? What's inside those walls? NOT ME, NO THANKS.

WDO is outside the scope of a normal home inspection. If your not trained to do it, you are opening up a huge can of worms here not to mention liability.

Rick Hurst
04-11-2007, 12:46 PM
As Tim mentioned, No home inspector or a experienced termite inspector should ever use the words "Clear or Free" on a WDI report.

I would recommend using terms like: "No visible evidence was found at the time of this inspection of any visible wood destroying insect infestation."

"Inside all wall voids, behind cabinetry, tiles, stored articles, slab penetrations; below all floor slab coverings were not accessible for inspection purposes."

Using the terms "free and clear" will get you freeing up your checkbook and all your assets getting cleared out.

Joseph P. Hagarty
04-11-2007, 06:31 PM

The Lender is looking for a WDO/WDI Report.

You need to be licensed in the State of Washington as a Structural Pest Inspector (SPI)


Patrick Martinez
04-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Hello again fellas,

thank you for the posts, I appreciate all the insights and positive reinforcement. I carry my SPI here in SW Wa and have made my reports based on what I have found. As I mentioned earlier, I do not get into what may or may not be there. The verbage you mention is spot on. After review of my comments, you each are absolutely correct. I cannot faithfully stand behind a "Free and Clear" report of a home. Considering that termites can show up the day after an inspection, (Seasonal) of course.
Anyhow, it is a template of a sort that I am looking for if anyone may be able to help.

Thank you all,


Trent Tarter
04-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Patrick I think I know what they are looking for is called the NPMA-33 Form. It is a form the the VA uses. I am a Washington State Inspector and have used this form to satisfy VA requirements. Here is the link to the form http://www.hudclips.org/sub_nonhud/cgi/pdfforms/npma-33.pdf

Patrick Martinez
04-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Hi Trent,

thanks for the link. This will definitely do trick.

Pat Martinez
EBI Signature Inspections, LLC
Vancouver, WA