PDA

View Full Version : AFCI Outlet Device

Gunnar Alquist
10-13-2015, 04:58 PM
Hi folks,

New construction, not occupied. There was one AFCI breaker in the garage panel. There were a few other outlet-type AFCI devices protecting receptacle outlets in the interior. Lights were not protected as far as I could determine.

My understanding is that AFCI protection is required at the panel, unless the cable between the panel and the first outlet device is RMC, IMC, EMT, MC or AC; or embedded in concrete (CEC Article 210.12 A Exception 1). Also, ALL outlets (light, smokes, receptacle outlets, etc.) are required to be AFCI protected.

I haven't run into AFCI outlets before, so I was unsure. Do I have it right?

Jerry Peck
10-13-2015, 05:38 PM
There was one AFCI breaker in the garage panel. There were a few other outlet-type AFCI devices protecting receptacle outlets in the interior. Lights were not protected as far as I could determine.

The lights are required to be AFCI protected. What NEC edition does CA use? 2011? 2014?

My understanding is that AFCI protection is required at the panel, unless the cable between the panel and the first outlet device is RMC, IMC, EMT, MC or AC; or embedded in concrete (CEC Article 210.12 A Exception 1). Also, ALL outlets (light, smokes, receptacle outlets, etc.) are required to be AFCI protected.

The 2014 NEC makes it a lot more complicated. I didn't put all those complications in my AFCI list as it would take up half a page. :(

Gunnar Alquist
10-13-2015, 06:13 PM
The lights are required to be AFCI protected. What NEC edition does CA use? 2011? 2014?

Hi Jerry,

Thanks. Pretty much what I thought.

CA uses the 2013 California Electric Code which is based on the 2011 NEC. Next update is 2016 which will incorporate the 2013 NEC.

The 2014 NEC makes it a lot more complicated. I didn't put all those complications in my AFCI list as it would take up half a page. :(

Great. Maybe I will retire before then. Fortunately, I mostly inspect existing buildings, so it will be a while before I start seeing 2014 requirements. Is this on your website for free download by ME??? :D

Kevin,

Not a code inspection. Pre-sale. Nonetheless, I try to get things right. BTW, no AFCI redundancy that I could find. I couldn't figure out what the one AFCI breaker in the panel did. Tripped it and couldn't find any protected circuits.

Jerry Peck
10-13-2015, 06:40 PM
Great. Maybe I will retire before then. Fortunately, I mostly inspect existing buildings, so it will be a while before I start seeing 2014 requirements. Is this on your website for free download by ME??? :D

Gunnar,

Inspectors (http://jerrypeck.com/IFCN/IFCN.htm)

Just for you ... no one else can see them ... bottom of the electrical column - oh, wait, that just let everyone else know where to look ... OH DARN! :biggrin:

Want me to add you to my newsletter email list so I send them to you when I send them out? Just let me know, PM, email, or post it here ... same for everyone else, just let me know - send me your email address.

Gunnar Alquist
10-13-2015, 09:32 PM
Wow, derating and all kinds of other nifty stuff! You shouldn't give this stuff out for free.

Ummm... forget I said that. :cool:

JOHN PAVAN
10-20-2015, 05:12 AM
Gunnar,

Just for you ... no one else can see them ... bottom of the electrical column - oh, wait, that just let everyone else know where to look ... OH DARN! :biggrin:

Want me to add you to my newsletter email list so I send them to you when I send them out? Just let me know, PM, email, or post it here ... same for everyone else, just let me know - send me your email address.

Mr Peck- I would appreciate anything you send out- jdpavan@gmail.com

Jerry Peck
10-20-2015, 06:53 AM
Mr Peck- I would appreciate anything you send out- jdpavan@gmail.com

John,

I've added you to my email list, thank you.

Previous newsletters can be read/downloaded here: http://jerrypeck.com/IFCN/IFCN.htm

JOHN PAVAN
10-20-2015, 07:57 AM
John,

Previous newsletters can be read/downloaded here: http://jerrypeck.com/IFCN/IFCN.htm

GREAT. I really appreciate your willingness to share the depth of knowledge you possess.

Dave Hill
10-20-2015, 09:03 AM
John,

Jerry, please add me too. Cheers!
Dave
BuyersSellersPi@aol.com

tkaiser1
10-20-2015, 09:52 AM
Jerry,

I would appreciate being added to your email list for this.
tim@nittygrittyinspections.com
Thank You!

Tim Kaiser

Gunnar,

William Atchley
10-20-2015, 01:50 PM
Jerry,
Please add me to your mailing list, great information.

Bill.atchley@gmail.com

Jerry Peck
10-20-2015, 02:21 PM
Dave
BuyersSellersPi@aol.com

Dave,

I will add you to my newsletter mailing list when I get back to my office.

Thank you.

Ben Jacks
10-20-2015, 05:07 PM
Hi folks,

New construction, not occupied. There was one AFCI breaker in the garage panel. There were a few other outlet-type AFCI devices protecting receptacle outlets in the interior. Lights were not protected as far as I could determine.

Please check for the AHJ electrical buyoff label that should be affixed on the premises equipment or contact the local building department to find out what the electrical code adoption is compliant to in the area. The Cali State requirements do not comply totally within the 2014 NEC code cycle.

Your interpretation of the latest NEC may be correct but some local AHJ's overrule or add various AFCI usage requirements. Make your report stating that there must be approved labeling indicating the electrical wiring has been AHJ certified for the new construction compliance. Let the local code directives carry the liability...by a qualified AHJ electrical inspector. :)

david shapiro
10-20-2015, 05:38 PM
Hi folks,

Jerry's right about the lights.
As for the complicated requirements, 2014's 210.12(A)(4) simplifies things, in that even with new wiring you don't need the (nobody makes one) supplemental arc protection circuit breaker so long as the AFCI device is within 50-70 ft of the CB, depending on gage, measured along the cable. Whether the AHJ would accept compliance with a later version of the NEC is uncertain but possible. But this is irrelevant if the lighting is on a different circuit. Still and all, so long as certain mistakes are absent, correcting this is not a big deal.

Jerry Peck
10-21-2015, 08:58 AM
Dave
BuyersSellersPi@aol.com

Dave,

I've added you to the email distribution list too.

Thank you,

Jerry

Bob Wisnewski
10-23-2015, 05:31 AM
Gunnar,

Jerry,
Would like for you to add me to your newsletter subscriber list. Thanks!
onthegulf1@me.com

Jerry Peck
10-23-2015, 06:24 AM
Jerry,
Would like for you to add me to your newsletter subscriber list. Thanks!
onthegulf1@me.com

Bob,

I've added you to my newsletter distribution email list.

Thank you,

Jerry

Frazier Jeffery
10-23-2015, 07:14 PM
Bob,

Thank you,

Jerry
If you have a news letter which will supply me with any needed information useful to my inspection construction business please add me
Thanks
Frazier

- - - Updated - - -

Bob,

Thank you,

Jerry
If you have a news letter which will supply me with any needed information useful to my inspection construction business please add me
Thanks
Frazier

- - - Updated - - -

Bob,

Thank you,

Jerry
Thanks
Frazier

Jerry Peck
10-24-2015, 07:11 AM
Thanks
Frazier

Frazier,

I don't know if you need the information or not ... :) ... send me a PM with your email address and I will add you to my newsletter distribution list.

Thank you,

Jerry

Ben Jacks
10-25-2015, 09:06 AM
Jerry's right about the lights.
As for the complicated requirements, 2014's 210.12(A)(4) simplifies things, in that even with new wiring you don't need the (nobody makes one) supplemental arc protection circuit breaker so long as the AFCI device is within 50-70 ft of the CB, depending on gage, measured along the cable. Whether the AHJ would accept compliance with a later version of the NEC is uncertain but possible. But this is irrelevant if the lighting is on a different circuit. Still and all, so long as certain mistakes are absent, correcting this is not a big deal.

Hi David,
Are you the David E. Shapiro, author of YOUR OLD WIRING? If so, I think this book would be an excellent reference to home inspectors who have the need to inspect existing homes with wiring deteriorated conditions.
Dave, I can help you update your book next edition run with the latest in electrical installation advanced dwelling wiring methods such as clean NM bundling with Dual Function technology and individual wiring termination techniques. PM email if interested. Ben