PDA

View Full Version : Blocked access to water heater. See photo.

Gene South
10-27-2015, 05:06 AM
In this photo, a pool was recently added to the backyard and the new pool equipment (filter, pump, etc) was placed directly in front of the two exterior wall-mounted tankless gas water heaters. Accessing the water heaters for inspection required stepping over and straddling the pool pump and associated pool equipment. It appears that IRC M1305.1 may apply here. If you know of another code, please post it here.

BARRY ADAIR
10-27-2015, 08:07 AM
In this photo, a pool was recently added to the backyard and the new pool equipment (filter, pump, etc) was placed directly in front of the two exterior wall-mounted tankless gas water heaters. Accessing the water heaters for inspection required stepping over and straddling the pool pump and associated pool equipment. It appears that IRC M1305.1 may apply here. If you know of another code, please post it here.

P2801.3 Location.
Water heaters and storage tanks shall be installed in accordance with Section M1305 and shall be located and connected to provide access for observation, maintenance, servicing and replacement.

Jerry Peck
10-27-2015, 05:06 PM
They didn't even put in the required working space in front of the panel/pool controller for the pool ...

Mark Reinmiller
10-27-2015, 05:22 PM
I'm curious whether they had a final inspection of the pool. You would hope that someone would have pointed out how stupid the contractor was before getting that far.

BARRY ADAIR
10-27-2015, 06:05 PM
I'm curious whether they had a final inspection of the pool. You would hope that someone would have pointed out how stupid the contractor was before getting that far.

it's the wild wild west in good ol' boys tx

build 'em
approve 'em
collect improved value tax on 'em
we've satisfied our permit obligation

even when the ahj is presented with the code ref & verbiage in our reports seldom are these and hundreds of other items corrected or even acknowledged

i'd be willing to bet nothing is done beyond the ahj saying "a temporary straddling platform could be used to comply" for at least 1 of the h2o heaters the rest is typical tx construction garbage...that pays nicely

Jerry Peck
10-27-2015, 06:42 PM

Nah, not only is it the wild west out there in Texas, but the pool inspector likely pays no attention to things they do not inspect ... sad, but that is true in many areas.

Some people have a problem with "multiple-discipline" inspectors, yet it seems that only those multiple-discipline inspectors are the one who look at everything and make the connections between building/plumbing/mechanical/fuel gas/electrical ... everyone else seems to not be able to connect the dots on how each relates to the other.

Frazier Jeffery
10-28-2015, 09:56 PM
P2801.3 Location.
Water heaters and storage tanks shall be installed in accordance with Section M1305 and shall be located and connected to provide access for observation, maintenance, servicing and replacement.
Relax you are really pushing the envelope for this to be an issue

- - - Updated - - -

:p
P2801.3 Location.

- - - Updated - - -

:p
P2801.3 Location.

Jerry Peck
10-29-2015, 05:10 AM

Not pushing it at all - he is actually doing his job.

Sounds like someone needs to get his job back at Taco Bell ... :)

Mark Reinmiller
10-29-2015, 05:29 AM

If there was room behind the pool equipment for proper access I might agree with you, but it does not appear that there is. I can see the plumber coming along to fix a tankless heater and breaking some piping.