PDA

View Full Version : Parallel Wiring

Jim Robinson
11-05-2015, 01:26 PM
Let's see if I can describe this well enough. There is an electric range that was added during a kitchen remodel. The original kitchen had an electric cook top and an electric oven. Each had a 30 amp x 240 circuit, with # 10 wirings. When the new range was added, a 50 amp breaker was added, and is now using two #10 wires for each leg, a total of 4 # 10 wires. The reason being that it would have been difficult to get a # 6 wire into the kitchen at this point. I told my client that you can't do parallel wiring for a branch circuit like that, but I wanted to double check.

Jerry Peck
11-05-2015, 01:38 PM
I told my client that you can't do parallel wiring for a branch circuit like that, but I wanted to double check.

Well ... they "can" do it because you saw it ... :D ...but they are not allowed to.

Not for the reason you gave, though - because the conductors that small are not permitted to used in parallel.

Only conductors 1/0 and larger are permitted to be used in parallel.

Jim Robinson
11-05-2015, 02:31 PM
Actually, that is what I told him, from some vague memory of a conversation on here. I told him you can do parallel wiring, but I had only heard of it being done with larger wiring. I didn't know the 1/0 size parameter. Thanks.

david shapiro
11-14-2015, 11:15 AM
Actually, that is what I told him, from some vague memory of a conversation on here. I told him you can do parallel wiring, but I had only heard of it being done with larger wiring. I didn't know the 1/0 size parameter. Thanks.

The restrictions on parallel wiring are more than just wire gage. Also, I would be surprised to learn that the 50A CB was listed for connection of two conductors.

Dave Borowski
11-15-2015, 11:47 AM
Let's see if I can describe this well enough. There is an electric range that was added during a kitchen remodel. The original kitchen had an electric cook top and an electric oven. Each had a 30 amp x 240 circuit, with # 10 wirings. When the new range was added, a 50 amp breaker was added, and is now using two #10 wires for each leg, a total of 4 # 10 wires. The reason being that it would have been difficult to get a # 6 wire into the kitchen at this point. I told my client that you can't do parallel wiring for a branch circuit like that, but I wanted to double check.

If you're a fan of the NASA Urine Recycle Machine (youtube)... "that's piss right to the bottom" While the "math" might work - should a wire fail or even a connection be loose, the entire load would be on the surviving wire. Shut it down before it burns the home down.