PDA

View Full Version : Hip Rafter Attachment And Brace

William Kievit
12-14-2015, 05:13 PM
This hip rafter does not appear to be properly attached.
Can any of you framing experts suggest a better method?
The support brace is poorly supported below and will need to be removed.

Mark Reinmiller
12-14-2015, 07:08 PM
From what I see in the photo the hip rafters appear to be braced against the ridge, which is a proper practice. If they terminated below the ridge they would need vertical support. The vertical support in the photo appears to be a temporary brace used during construction.

Markus Keller
12-14-2015, 09:27 PM
That's kind of a tricky question.
The rafter you are indicating is a Lam beam as opposed to a regular wood beam. Installing a lam beam would tend to indicate that there is a load factor that needs to be met per the approved drawings. Did someone put that in for a reason or because it was supposed to go somewhere else (say the adjacent hip) and they used it because they had it.
The adjacent hip appears to be oversized to fully support the rafters but is too small to fully support the lam beam. Definition in the pic isn't good enough to see if there are proper nails in place.
If its nailed properly and there isn't a specific load need for this to be a lam beam then it will probably ok.
The installed stud could be fine if supported on a bearing wall or sufficient joist. If sitting on a small 2x8 ceiling joist in mid span you could end up with drywall cracking.
This is one of those iffy scenarios thats hard to decipher unless onsite. Is the rafter going to drop or the roof going to collapse? Probably not. Could they end up with some cracking? Possible.
I wouldn't sign off on it as is. Require someone to provide the approved Plans or refer it.

ROBERT YOUNG
12-14-2015, 10:36 PM
You have a pic from further back, or another angle of the hip rafter?

William Kievit
12-15-2015, 12:59 PM
You have a pic from further back, or another angle of the hip rafter?

Sorry this is the only view. This is a new construction house and I'm now in contact with the builder. My clients will get taken care of.

Ray Thornburg
12-24-2015, 02:45 PM
This hip rafter does not appear to be properly attached.
Can any of you framing experts suggest a better method?
The support brace is poorly supported below and will need to be removed.

There's really not enough information from the photo to tell if that brace or another better constructed brace is needed. I would tend to put a brace at the junction of the hip cripple and the valley. The Lam beam does suggest a longer rafter with more load but not necessarily. It may have just been used to catch the plywood better. If you want to know more about roof framing check out my book The Roof Framers Field Manual (http://www.summerville-home-inspector.com/content/roof-framers-field-manual) ...... Yes....this is a shameless self promotion....