PDA

View Full Version : Structural Settlement or Structural Failure?

K Lucas
11-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Structural Settlement or Structural Failure?

Should there be a bridge ledge here? There's a brick ledge on the left side.

Michael Larson
11-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Based on the photo alone I see very little to be concerned with.

How old is the house?

Scott Patterson
11-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Structural Settlement or Structural Failure?

Should there be a bridge ledge here? There's a brick ledge on the left side.
I'm assuming you mean brick ledge.

Are you sure that one is not below the grade? Many times they can be found below ground on corners.

Id it does not have one, it does not have one. Not much can be done. That crack, in my non-engineering professional opinion is not an issue.

K Lucas
11-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Yes, I meant brick ledge. This house is 3 years old.

Rick Hurst
11-26-2007, 02:30 PM
If you remove the soil on the side of that brick veneer you'd probably find a brick ledge there.

It is a conducive condition though for termite conditions.

rick

Trent Tarter
11-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Just curious Rick to why you would think that would be a conducive condition for termites.

Rick Hurst
11-27-2007, 09:20 PM
Because the mortar in the brick crack over time due to the constant moisture allowing the termites easy access behind the brick veneer and right on up to the sill plates.

Same thing goes for the wedge cracks or what is known as corner pops at the corners of foundation walls. I've found many termite tubes hidden in such cracks.

rick

imported_John Smith
11-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Were there weep holes above grade?
I haven't seen this type of brick work in the Houston area.

K Lucas
11-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Here's a photo of the left side of the same home. Based on the new photo are your opinions the same? I see a dramatic slope here!

K Lucas
11-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Initial Photo.

Scott Patterson
11-29-2007, 07:49 AM
Without being at the house it is difficult to opine what is going on.

imported_John Smith
11-29-2007, 09:21 AM
I get the impression that Mr or Ms Lucas is in the process of going after a home inspector (on a home they bought or are trying to sell). It seems all posts relate to a house built in 2004.

Nolan Kienitz
11-29-2007, 10:26 AM
I get the impression that Mr or Ms Lucas is in the process of going after a home inspector (on a home they bought or are trying to sell). It seems all posts relate to a house built in 2004.

Collin County CAD indicates two properties with "K Lucas" as owners. Both are older than 2004 and neither are in Wylie specifically.

K Lucas
11-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Well as you can see I'm not going after a home inspector for a house built in 2004 in Wylie which is in Collin County , I will just review other posts to complete my first inspection I was assigned for educational purposes only.

Thanks for your help, I've learned a lot!

Jerry Peck
11-29-2007, 08:05 PM
... I will just review other posts to complete my first inspection I was assigned for educational purposes only.

K.,

I would have helped if you had just been upfront with your needs.

Of course, it would also have helped to have had better (larger resolution) photos which could be seen larger and which would show better detail - but then, that is one lesson you can add down that you have learned regarding this profession (I see you did on your other post when you referenced equipment).

Many years ago, there was little equipment available for the home inspector, today, there are many varied and complex technologies used in equipment for home inspections.

When I first started, the equipment start up cost was relatively small (ladder, flashlight, thermometers, moisture meter - nothing like those of today, though - , screwdriver, probe, 3-light outlet tester, etc.) ... you could outfit yourself for probably less than $300, and $100 of that was for a Mag-lite flashlight.

Today, it probably takes $5,000 to $10,000 just for equipment start up cost. When I retired, I walked around with my tool bag which had about $10,000-15,000 tools in it (which included my notebook computer), and that was not counting the ladders and other equipment I kept in my van, starting with a $13,000 infrared camera and going up from there.