PDA

View Full Version : Hillbilly Junction Box

Tab Wilcox
12-21-2015, 08:08 AM
I am new to the forum, so I apologize if this is posted in the wrong area. Came across this last week. Thought you might like it!

david shapiro
12-25-2015, 09:14 AM
I am new to the forum, so I apologize if this is posted in the wrong area. Came across this last week. Thought you might like it!

I do, I do like it, Tab. Especially the crowning plastic flower.

Me, I try to be kind in my comments. Sure, there are four categories of NEC violation, if I'm not mistaken. And I'll mention them, plus the almost-certainty that the installation was not permitted and inspected, if the jurisdiction requires such. However, I also will say I'm impressed that, despite the other evidence of dangerous ignorance or indifference, all the cables are installed with connectors (unless the yellow items are not wirenuts but additional cable/s).

Scott Patterson
12-25-2015, 09:40 AM
Tab, you have no idea what Hillbilly craftsmanship is like! Living in the great state of Tennessee we really do get to see true Hillbilly craftsmanship first hand!32343

John Kogel
12-26-2015, 01:52 PM
Tab, you have no idea what Hillbilly craftsmanship is like! Living in the great state of Tennessee we really do get to see true Hillbilly craftsmanship first hand!Right. Tab is in Az so maybe 'Cowboy carpentry' would be a better label?
No, it does not need a little door on leather hinges.
I see somebody who was told that the j-box needs to be accessible, knows perfectly well what that entails, but wanted to take a jab at his local AHJ. :D

-

ROBERT YOUNG
12-26-2015, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the pic!
Who's the electrical folk art crafts person?
A museum piece I bet.
Never know. Might be worth money some day.
I bid $5.00 Canadian dollars.
That is $2.75 American at today's exchange in case you don't follow these things.
Never know... maybe the kid my old girlfriend never told me about just might inherit a fine Vintage Obsolete heritage.:D
I wounder what she called him?

Jerry Peck
12-26-2015, 08:38 PM
Never know... maybe the kid my old girlfriend never told me about just might inherit a fine Vintage Obsolete heritage.:D
I wounder what she called him?

Seems that you have a lot of information about something that no one ever told you about ... :first:

ROBERT YOUNG
12-26-2015, 08:43 PM
Seems that you have a lot of information about something that no one ever told you about ... :first:

Just wish'en Jerry, that's all.

Jerry Peck
12-27-2015, 07:59 AM
Just wish'en Jerry, that's all.

Dang! I was thinking you had done some of that good old fashion 'home inspector investigation' ... and made some 'discoveries'.

Oh well, here's to a wishin' and a hopin' ...

Tom Rees
12-31-2015, 01:57 PM
The panel is labeled "Service Disconnect". Do you just twist off all the wire nuts??

Jerry Peck
12-31-2015, 02:36 PM
The panel is labeled "Service Disconnect". Do you just twist off all the wire nuts??

Well ... :) ... after twisting off all of the wire nuts you then have to untwist the wires and separate them too ... that's the disconnect ... the wire nuts are just 'insulation'. :biggrin:

Tom Rees
01-01-2016, 07:11 AM
Well ... :) ... after twisting off all of the wire nuts you then have to untwist the wires and separate them too ... that's the disconnect ... the wire nuts are just 'insulation'. :biggrin:

Is that 6 hand movements.:confused:

ROBERT YOUNG
01-01-2016, 07:53 AM
Jerry, Tom, thanks for the laugh.

It took me more than 6 hand movements to write this post, so is it compliant?:D
Happy New Year from this wired home inspection nut.

david shapiro
01-02-2016, 07:59 PM

Are you sure the wires are twisted together?

:confused:

Jerry Peck
01-03-2016, 07:46 AM
Are you sure the wires are twisted together?

No one will know 'for sure' until the wire nuts are removed ... but the wires 'sure look like they are' twisted going into the wire nuts.