PDA

View Full Version : Masonry Foundation Supports

ROBERT J MOUNTAIN
11-27-2007, 02:18 PM
I was recently asked about the maximum height for a 16in.x16in. masonry support? It is not a normal part of my inspections but I was told I could find the information in the 2006 IRC. Can anyone help with this code?:o

Secondly, I wanted to know if anyone is doing Risk Assessment? I was presented with the offer recently here in Atlanta?

Billy Stephens
11-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Robert,

I don't have IRC 2006 Maybe this will help.

You'll need to match material and exposure in the attachment.

John Goad
11-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Dbl block piers 80" high, over 80" should be filled with concrete & rebar.

Valerie Gillespie
09-11-2009, 12:58 PM
There is a big difference in capacity between masonry walls and masonry columns. You shouldn't use wall guidelines; the wall capacities assume there is distribution along the length of the wall; isolated columns can not distribute or share load like a wall.

The 80" height is based on the definition of a "pier" as being 5 times the length of the pier (16" x 5= 80"). However, it really depends on the load applied. If the pier is in a residence, typically light framed timber construction, a 16" x 16" x 6'-8" pier is most likely capable of carrying residential loads.

If its a foundation for any other use, the structural engineer should refer to ACI 530 part 3.2 for unreinforced masonry allowable compression loads.