PDA

View Full Version : A/C Fins

Jeff Eastman
11-27-2007, 07:18 PM

Billy Stephens
11-27-2007, 07:35 PM
The bottom of the A/C fins on one side was damaged to such a point they were gone , about a 10 square inch area, exposing the inner coils,etc.

Can the fins be replaced or does the unit have to be replaced?

Jeff,

The kind of damage you are describing is usually caused by repeated and prolonged exposure to pet urine or someone pressure washing the condenser.

It can be replaced but at what cost compared to a new unit ?

Rick Hurst
11-27-2007, 08:00 PM
Did the fins look like these?

Michael Thomas
11-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Weedwacker?

Billy Stephens
11-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Weedwacker?

Micheal,

Doggie Peeeer. :)

Michael Thomas
11-27-2007, 08:29 PM
I've seen dogs corrode em' - but chop em' up...?

Jim Luttrall
11-27-2007, 08:30 PM
Just to clarify, the "fins" can't be replace, the entire coil which is a factory formed piece can be replaced... but the price would likely be close to the price of a new condensing unit. Kind of like putting a new engine in an old car.

Eric Barker
11-27-2007, 08:32 PM
I have not heard that replacement of the coil is a reasonable option.

Billy Stephens
11-27-2007, 08:39 PM
I've seen dogs corrode em' - but chop em' up...?

Michael,

It looks like Rick cleaned the condenser coil with a water hose just before taking the picture.

william siegel
11-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Here in Florida, the closer you get to the ocean the faster the fins deteriorate. You are lucky to get eight years out of them. Who needs dogs when you have the salt air.

Michael Thomas
11-27-2007, 09:16 PM
I'll take you word for it... I've seen lots of dog-damaged coils, I've just never seen one with the "fin" material sitting around at the base like a pile of confetti.

Rick Hurst
11-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Michael,

The picture I posted was from a prior post on this board. I saved the picture as an example, so I can't tell you a 100% why the fins are lying on the ground as such.

I assume that maybe someone was cleaning the fins with water pressure and due to the deterioration that was already present, the fins came loose and possibly someone probed at them to discover how bad of a condition was present.

The HVAC contractors I personally know would say that the coils should be replaced, which with the associated cost only make sense to replace the complete condensing unit. Why dress up a pig?

Kevin VanderWarf
11-28-2007, 06:04 AM
Dog pee most likely,however; some condensor coil cleaners if not used properly can be very harsh.
Replacing the evap. coil?
That may be needed to comply with current seer ratings but were not looking at the evap. coil in that pic.

Jerry Peck
11-29-2007, 08:46 AM
The bottom of the A/C fins on one side was damaged to such a point they were gone , about a 10 square inch area, exposing the inner coils,etc.

Can the fins be replaced or does the unit have to be replaced?

"or does the unit have to be replaced"

Yes - replace the unit.