PDA

View Full Version : Cement tile roof questions

mark petty
01-28-2016, 03:41 PM
2000 Cement barrel tile roof - Central FL - Block home with wood truss system - all truss chords are 2x4's - Sheathing is 1/2" plywood - Underlayment appears to be 30 lb felt - Reputable builder and all permits signed off on. Its stood the test of time with no visible problems. Typically I see 2x6 top chords - 5/8" sheathing and a water proof membrane such as a peel and stick or equal. Would all this be acceptable; your comments are appreciated. Thanks

Claude Lawrenson
01-28-2016, 04:02 PM
Hello Mark - may I suggest checking what the code requires in your area. I know we don't do code, but it would particularly in a newer home provide us with a base legally acceptable building standard.

The other area is the loading distribution portion - what is the spacing of the truss framing system? If at 24 " o.c, are there deck clips, etc?

mark petty
01-28-2016, 04:47 PM
Hello Mark - may I suggest checking what the code requires in your area. I know we don't do code, but it would particularly in a newer home provide us with a base legally acceptable building standard.

The other area is the loading distribution portion - what is the spacing of the truss framing system? If at 24 " o.c, are there deck clips, etc?

Spacing is 24" O.C. with H-clips. Not too worried about the trusses as much as the 1/2" sheathing. Thanks

Jerry Peck
01-28-2016, 05:44 PM
Spacing is 24" O.C. with H-clips. Not too worried about the trusses as much as the 1/2" sheathing. Thanks

Most architects and engineers specify 5/8" roof sheathing under concrete tile, however, unless site specific engineering requires it, the code does not.

Installing concrete tile on 1/2" roof sheathing is an indication (in my opinion) of a cheapo contractor/builder - if they will do that, what else will they skimp on? (I know, I know, the answer is ... "everything". :) :( )

mark petty
01-28-2016, 05:53 PM
Thanks everyone for your help.

Tim Kerce
01-29-2016, 02:28 PM
You mean this wouldn't be acceptable? :)

Jerry Peck
01-29-2016, 05:13 PM
You mean this wouldn't be acceptable? :)

In some places, but not in Florida. :)

Is it just me, or are those trusses whompyjawed?

Tim Kerce
02-01-2016, 09:45 AM
The weight of the tiles was bowing the trusses down the whole roof. But it was much worse in the house, where almost every room had a hole in the ceiling where water was pouring in from above. It was a real mess.

John Kogel
02-22-2016, 09:48 PM
BTW, those are Concrete Tiles, are they not?
'Cement' is the stuff in the sack, like flour is an ingredient in bread.
OK, students, carry on inspecting. ;)